Krasnagorsk recommendations...

Patrick Barry

Hey all, we're looking to finish a S16mm project we've been working on for a little while now. The camera we've been using (modified Eclair ACL) has some serious flicker issues, but only while filming outdoors on bright days. But that's a separate matter. We're looking to get a cheap S16mm camera to finish off these last 2 scenes. There is no sync sound and I was looking at a Krasnagorsk. I've read through most of the old forum posts about the K3 but wanted to see if anyone here had any input on it. Also, do you guys recommend the bayonet mount? Thanks all.

• Premium Member

Might be hard to find a stock S16mm Krag... perhaps you'd be better served renting out another S16mm package for completion? An older Aaton, or Arri SR series or even the veritable S16mm Bolxes which have been modified. Failing that, finding an owner of a K3 whose already had it modified and CLA'd and can provide samples of the footage that camera produced would be smart-- the K3s, like many cameras can either work wonderfully, work ok, or not work at all!

Hey all, we're looking to finish a S16mm project we've been working on for a little while now. The camera we've been using (modified Eclair ACL) has some serious flicker issues, but only while filming outdoors on bright days. But that's a separate matter. We're looking to get a cheap S16mm camera to finish off these last 2 scenes. There is no sync sound and I was looking at a Krasnagorsk. I've read through most of the old forum posts about the K3 but wanted to see if anyone here had any input on it. Also, do you guys recommend the bayonet mount? Thanks all.

Krasnogorsk-3 don't better a choose for S16 upgrade. K-3 have not best profile of film gate and S16 upgrade can scratch from side of widening a film gate.

K-3 amateur cine camera and do not have side clamping of film.

K-3 have mechanical speed control mechanism with precision of speed control near 20%.

The footage of K-3 can differ from ACL too much.

About serious flicker issues, may be this is frequency pulsation between camera speed and main power signal ?

What kinds of main power frequency ? speed fo shooting ? angle of shutter disk ?

If you use HMI lighters with magnetic ballast, teh sinchronization between main power and speed of camera importnat too much.

Yes, i agree ideas of Andrian to rent of professional S16 camera,