CineGear

The closest I've attempted to being there is I sent them my resume to be a production assistant! I think that'd be an experience, but I got a reply back saying they'd let me know if they needed my help. I thought perhap's it'd be just volunteer work, but maybe it isn't if they needed an actual resume from me. -GEORGE

I went. I must admit all that gear just kind of becomes hazy mess when it's all together. I stuck to looking at the major lighting manufacturers new units, lenses and had some hands on time with the Alexa. Most useful thing I looked at were the LED units that will do lightening flashes. Good cheap-er way to get a lightening effect.

Met Chayse Irvin too. Turns out we have a friend on common.

Edited by J. Lamar King

• Premium Member

I must admit all that gear just kind of becomes hazy mess when it's all together.

I have to agree, there is just so much to try to take in. If you're in the market for something specific it's a great place to compare competing products all in one place. It can be very informative to speak directly to manufacturers, the Canon rep had some interesting opinions on the 7D vs T2i that I haven't heard elsewhere (overheating-- perhaps less of a problem with the T2i, buy 2 T2i's instead of one 7D and have a spare).

One thing that struck me was the shear quanitity of Canon DSLRs on display configured with the various manufacturers accessories. Are they really that much of a factor in production now or do they simply represent more of an opportunity to make and sell gear?

Man, Cinegear was an experience! It was my first time and let me tell you, being able to work with equipment I usually save as backgrounds on my computer was incredible! The more amazing part, however, was the fact that ASC members; people I have been looking up to for a majority of my life, were walking and mingling with the 'general populace' :). Maybe this is just newbie feeling, but almost getting hit by a car and running across the Paramount lot just to be able to hear Wally Pfister, ASC (and his crew) talk about filming Inception, being suggested a book by Isidore Mankofsky, ASC and actually being able to talk with Allen Daviau, ASC about the importance of the photochemical process are moments that I will truly never forget.

The one regret I have, however, is being too shy to approach all the ASC members I saw. There is next year, however!

Edited by Shaan Aslam

• Premium Member

I was there Friday only. We had to wait outside for about an hour, but fortunately I got there about the same time as Denny Clairmont, so we had a nice long chat.

There were a few interesting items at the show:

A fuel cell generator, basically a silent generator with about the same output and form as a Honda generator.

A ten bit card recorder, with loads of monitoring features.

Eizo LCD monitors.

-- J.S.