zoom feature on the DSLR cameras

I just finished a short film using the canon 5d and one thing that I noticed was that I would measure the distance from camera to subject, match it with the lens then I would double check the focus by using the zoom feature and I found out that I was always off by just a tiny bit. So I am wondering if using the zoom feature makes it seem like I'm doing an imax kinda focus check.

• Premium Member

I just finished a short film using the canon 5d and one thing that I noticed was that I would measure the distance from camera to subject, match it with the lens then I would double check the focus by using the zoom feature and I found out that I was always off by just a tiny bit. So I am wondering if using the zoom feature makes it seem like I'm doing an imax kinda focus check.

As a rule, still camera zoom lenses are not parfocal, they do not hold focus as the focal length is varied. The Canon EF/EF-S series zooms seem to be better than many others but still not absolutely parfocal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parfocal

Perhaps Paul means the x5 and x10 digital zoom mofe in live view, whic is intended solely for focussing?

Yes this is the feature that I am talking about. I think is Hal is right about the still lenses, I should do a real test with a PL mounted adapter

• Premium Member

Yes this is the feature that I am talking about. I think is Hal is right about the still lenses, I should do a real test with a PL mounted adapter

That zoom feature is just a digital zoom in to what is being recorded (but not greater than 1:1). If you're off for that you're soft, period. I don't know your exact rig but with a 5D there's a very good chance that the FFD is off or that your lenses don't tape out properly.