20-120 or 25-250mm?

Guest Sean McVeigh

Guest Sean McVeigh

If you had to pick between either an angenieux 20-120 or a 25-250 as a general purpose lens, which would you go for and why? Seems the 20-120 clocks in a little faster than the 25-250.

I'm probably losing all of my old std-mount primes in a camera upgrade and am just trying to figure out what a good zoom for under $1000 would be. I must admit, I haven't found much need to be shooting anything in the longer focal lengths yet. (a 25-250mm is available for cheap rental if I ever really need to go longer). Any alternate suggestions? Anyone selling one?

Sean

• Premium Member

Hi,

Yikes, I wouldn't even expect a decent standard-def video zoom for US$ 1000, let alone for a higher resolution format! In general zooms with higher ratio will be slower and have poorer optical performance.

Phil

• Premium Member

If you had to pick between either an angenieux 20-120 or a 25-250 as a general purpose lens, which would you go for and why? Seems the 20-120 clocks in a little faster than the 25-250.

I have bought both on E-Bay the 25-250 for $300 the 20-120 for GBP 125!

I think the 20-120 is quite good even wide open, most of Easy Rider was shot with one! I would choose this one.

The 25-250 is fairly soft wide open, but at 5.6-8 very sharp. I was able to cut between a Cooke S4! (There is no 250mm Cooke S4). As a general lens the minimium focus distance is way too far, I wouldn't want to use a diopter with this lens.

If you could spend $2000 then a Cooke 20-100 is a fantastic lens. I use one all the time for low budget shoots! This was the zoom of choice for 20 years!.

Stephen

Guest Sean McVeigh
If you could spend $2000 then a Cooke 20-100 is a fantastic lens. I use one all the time for low budget shoots! This was the zoom of choice for 20 years!.

Thanks for the suggestion Stephen. Hmm, min focus of 2'4". Not too bad.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the suggestion Stephen.  Hmm, min focus of 2'4".  Not too bad.

At 100mm the Cooke is almost a macro lens as well, you can put Kodak Gelatine filters in the back so you don't need 6x6 filters! Its Great wide open T3.1/ f2.8. The focus marks have very wide spacing ! I would pop down to a rental house if you don't know the lens and check one out. Also your clients say wow it's a Cooke lens! Its the best money I have ever spent!

Stephen Williams

Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com