Foam for your cases

I highly recommend "Innerspace Cases" (http://www.innerspacecases.com/) I had Innerspace make me a custom foam Pelican case for my cinetape system.

Where do you guys get foam for your pelican and flight cases in Los Angeles?

I just got a few cases for my personal gear and need to get some custom foam cut to fit.

• Premium Member

You can of course use foam not specific to pelican cases. I have had to refoam a lot of my cases, I went to FOAM MART (near Arri), 628 North Victory Blvd., Burbank, CA 91502 800-943-8362. They have foam for equipment cases you can buy in sheets, and the glue you'll need. The sales guy gave me a great tip for cutting it: use an electric kitchen knife, like the kind you would use for carving a turkey. I went to Target and pucked one up for $18. Now I can cut my own custom foam inserts in a few minutes with Sharpie to outline, a pair of scissors to start the cut and the electric knife. I hate the pick-n-pluck because it just doesn't hold up.

• 1 month later...

You can of course use foam not specific to pelican cases. I have had to refoam a lot of my cases, I went to FOAM MART (near Arri), 628 North Victory Blvd., Burbank, CA 91502 800-943-8362. They have foam for equipment cases you can buy in sheets, and the glue you'll need. The sales guy gave me a great tip for cutting it: use an electric kitchen knife, like the kind you would use for carving a turkey. I went to Target and pucked one up for $18. Now I can cut my own custom foam inserts in a few minutes with Sharpie to outline, a pair of scissors to start the cut and the electric knife. I hate the pick-n-pluck because it just doesn't hold up.

Bruce, if you get a chance can you post of photo of the case with the foam you cut? I'm curious to see how the electric kitchen knife worked out sounds pretty cool!

• 2 weeks later...

IF you're in the States you might also try these guys www.casecad.com . Once you get used to their program everything goes smoothly and nice. They also have a very nice custmoer support helping you out with whatever problem you might have.

Is there a special glue that you must use to stick the pieces together ?

Also the type of foam used is very important. The pick-n-pluck is the worst type you can get because it doesn't hold up with use. Polythylene is great for foams. It's also what Innerspace and other guys are using.

Yes please post some photos of your electric knife foam cut. I'm very curious as to how it turned up. Did you glue the pieces together after or before you started cutting ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Bruce, if you get a chance can you post of photo of the case with the foam you cut? I'm curious to see how the electric kitchen knife worked out

Finally dug up a pic!

The case is a repurposed Kinor 35H aluminum unit modified for Lomo anamorphic primes and a RED OCT19 adapter.

post-13340-12832054137785.jpg