The Historic Light Meter Appreciation Society

Phil Rhodes

My old L-398 (circa 1980) finally gave up the ghost a couple years ago - a screw came loose and fell into the magnet movement, crushing the spring. It's been upgraded to a phaser gun toy in my daughter's cabinet of unusable electronics.

So I bought another one off eBay for - a bit too much, I guess - and after receiving it shot several test rolls of 16 and 35mm, using its exposure readings as a guide. Well, imagine my disappointment when all the rolls came out underexposed. Turns out the meter read exactly 1 stop hot, compared to a known good light meter. I stuck a bit of toilet paper and bubble wrap in the little white globe, brought the readings into line with reality, and now it's perfect. And no batteries to run down!

Seeing all these posts made me get my L-398 studio deluxe out from my treasure chest of meters and test it out it was spot on i must have had it for about 25 years got a shoot next week i am going to take to shepperton and wave it about and see if i get any comments. john holland. :rolleyes:

• Premium Member
Turns out the meter read exactly 1 stop hot, compared to a known good light meter. I stuck a bit of toilet paper and bubble wrap in the little white globe, brought the readings into line with reality, and now it's perfect. And no batteries to run down!

Can't you just have it calibrated? I don't think I'd be trusting toilet paper and bubble wrap to get me a correct reading off of my meter.....but that's just me.

• Premium Member
Can't you just have it calibrated?  I don't think I'd be trusting toilet paper and bubble wrap to get me a correct reading off of my meter.....but that's just me.

You could have it calibrated but what he did accomplishes the same thing. I think I personally would have put a circle of ND in there instead, but that works.

• Premium Member
Hi...

I believe, any lightmeter can do the best job if you know how to use & you are familiar with that.  If you are fancy to the Sekonic Studio Delux, then why not? Just keep it.

Absolutely, as long as you know how to get perfect readings with it, use whatever you want.

On a side note, I just bought a spectra classic on ebay, I should get it this next week :)