Double Super 8

Jacob Waltman

Hello Jacob,

Just ran across this thread; I do not know if you have it already but Andrew Hayden's email is: doubleopen32@uwclub.net.

He repaired the pellicle viewfinder and meter in my Pathe DS8. I absolutely love the camera, but unfortunately I cannot give you logical reasons for that! I have many old cameras and enjoy and love mechanical beasts. When I wind it up it makes me smile; pretty ridiculous I know, but this camera buzzes when the variable shutter closes, bells ring when the wind is complete or almost runs down, performs ridiculous slow motion @ 80fps, is beautiful to look at and is great for a weight for tricep pulldowns. I shoot a lot in regular 8 with a bolex H8 reflex with prime lenses and will never get into a debate as to what looks better. I am just a hack filming my kids and annoying everyone around me! It all looks great if you had your act together that day or like poop if you didn't. I have gotten beautiful images on a Nizo heliomatic, Nikkorex-8 or Canon cine8 so who knows? Just enjoy yourself and revel in old machines that were built to last.

My experience with DS-8mm has been with the Canon and Bolex DS-8mm cameras. I have never shot with a Pathe but I am glad there are still those out there that use them. I have shot with R-8mm Bolex H8 cameras for over thirty years now, and always had interest in shooting DS-8mm. Once I got my hands on the Canon and Bolex, I sold off my entire collection of S-8mm cameras. While shooting S-8mm cartridges are fun and easy, and there are great cameras around, for me it made sense to standardize on roll film cameras. I love the mechanical brilliance of the cameras and the feeling of craftsmanship when using them. The Canon is a sure joy to use and the best hand held camera I have ever shot with.

The Bolex is capable of producing the utmost in image quality. If you have the lab process your film as 16mm and you slit the film yourself, the savings in film costs are substantial over cartridge film. With the huge bonus of the step-up in image quality, what is not to like with DS-8mm?

I think a lot of potential users of DS-8mm get either concerned about the technical aspects such as loading the film or feel the larger cameras and increased weight will

make filming difficult. All Bolex H cameras and the Canon DS-8mm camera have auto loading

feature which makes loading so simple and fun no one should be deterred by this. With just a few tries one will immediately become an expert loading the camera. The weight issue can be a hidden bonus. For instance, shooting DS-8mm you tend to use a tripod more often which will result in much better footage under most circumstances. Your audience, even if just family, will appreciate it. I have never felt uncomfortable hand holding a Bolex, but hand holding the Canon to me is a real treat. The balance and feel is just right and it has the best viewfinder around. I can shoot the best hand held footage with a Canon DS-8mm than any S-8mm camera I have shot with (and I have used many). The longer

shooting time (100ft versus 50ft) and the real savings make it not only the best image capable system for S-8mm film making, but also the most economical.

holy crap. i was looking at the spectra site and comparing the cost of ektachrome ds8 and super8. super8 is 50% more money per processed minute. so many people talk about film costs being so high that you would think they would want to witch over but it doesnt look like its happening. i cant see the argument about the cameras being heavier, loading etc being a huge issue. they choose film over video for the look and feel and many because of the mechanical aspects of it. i cant see many not going to it when its cheaper and apparently better imagery. i wish people would give it a shot.

and for the sold jk optical printer, can i ask who bought it?

• 2 months later...

I suppose most posters in this thread are DS-8 filmers :)

I acquired a bunch of Kodachrome 25 DS-8 30meters exp 1991 this summer. All from one frozen lot.

I shot a number of rolls which came out fine.

As there is very little time left to have the remainder exposed and processed I am offering a few of my last rolls for a bargain sale.

200 ft of super-8 images Euro 25 per DS-8 30meter roll piece, shipping against actual cost.

It is cheaper than BW!

I have paypal, IBAN banking, and will ship the same day.

Get some inspiration here, if you need it: sunny and wintery www.retroroadtrips.com

red_dress.jpg

xhl_snow_truck.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Guys!

I used a Quarz 2x8-S camera for DS8 films (Fuji 50D) supplied from WITTNER in Germany. The results are excellent! But the stock is expensive...

Next, I will shoot some rolls of the same stock with meopta A8 G2 DS8 camera... If you want, I can supply you information about these ugly but effective cameras...

I will buy some Kodak 100D stock. In any case, this stock is more reasonable priced and you can use ND filters anytime...

Cheers!