make swimming pool look like a big lake

Hi everybody,

I am preparing a shoot for a short movie. Actually we are just preparing the tests,

we are gonna make a little teaser just to check everything out.

The whole movie is shot on a kind of wooden raft in the middle of a lake (you dont see anything else then water).

For the underwater stuff we go to a swimmingpool.

IT IS A NIGHT SETTING! The only light source there is , is a fire torch on the raft.

The fire has no effect on the underwater shots, we want to create something abstract cause it is a fantasy world.

I was thinkin about making a circle of back/top light around personage for when he is on the surface (FILMED IN LAKE)

And for the underwater shots take that idea but make it harder.

[NOW MY QUESTION IS:

how can I simulate a lake like feeling in a swimming pool?

I think it is gonna be an indoor pool so i can make everything dark and make a rigg or something over the pool with a couple of hmis in back top or maybe working via mirrors. I just want to make sure it is not a clear blue pool look, and I want to make sure we dont see the end or the floor of the pool. You think putting black cloths underwater on the floor and walls is a good idea to get the infinite feeling?

If you want to have a better vieuw about what i mean I can send some parts of the storyboard.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

WIM

Any suggestions are welkom...

I heard about the milk additif you can use, I dont know yet If we may do that

How about using miniatures? Will all the filming at the enclosed pool be done from below or alongside the raft? You can use Aquashade (trademark), a non-toxic chemical used to darken the water in ponds and fountains. Depending on the camera angle, the biggest issue maybe tricking the eye with a forced perspective.

We did this last year for a commercial, we rigged large black drapes on two sides of the pool extending about 10' under water and about 16' above the water line. We used a strong backlight (4k HMI) and bounced a 2.5k HMI in from behind the camera for the key, and another to side light the rain. The pool is normally used for survival training so has a wave, wind and rain machine built in (nice...)

Here is a behind the scenes photo I took of the the action and this is an example of the result. This is a the pool normally looks like.

Regards

Rupert Mac