Has anyone heard of MPI Film school?

Currently I am at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale and it's time for me to make a move. I think I've gotten to a point where the school is not offering the help that I need in Cinematography. I recently applied at the NYFA to the 1 year Cinematography program got accepted but unfortunately I'm unable to handle the tuition, especially with this economy.

I ran across this school MPI, Motion Picture Institute, in Michigan and it seems like a good school that I could learn from and also afford. NYFA is 34k for tuition and MPI is 11K and both program is one year. I wanted to know have anyone heard anything about this school because I can't pull up any reviews on it. But I'm very interested in there program.

I ran across this school MPI, Motion Picture Institute, in Michigan and it seems like a good school that I could learn from and also afford.

It's a trade school. You'd spend $10,995 and walk out with no degree in a state where there isn't enough of an infrastructure for a school to help you make connections that lead to steady work.

It's a trade school. You'd spend $10,995 and walk out with no degree in a state where there isn't enough of an infrastructure for a school to help you make connections that lead to steady work.

Well you made a point about the school being in a place where I may not be able to make good connection with people in the industry. But do a diploma or a certificate really matters in this industry? And is trade schools ok to go to?

Well you made a point about the school being in a place where I may not be able to make good connection with people in the industry. But do a diploma or a certificate really matters in this industry? And is trade schools ok to go to?

No, the paper doesn't matter in the film industry, but a degree (not a certificate or diploma) can help you find work in other industries so it has some value. Trade schools for film make much less sense than accredited film schools. What are they offering you? You're looking for specialized cinematography training. The school in question caters to people with zero experience and jumps into cinematography 1 (of 2) in semester one. How specialized do you think that training is going to be?

Personally, I think ten grand (plus whatever you'd spend on living expenses for the year in school) would be better spent on rent and food while working on low budget productions and gaining experience/making connections in an area where films are being shot.

No, the paper doesn't matter in the film industry, but a degree (not a certificate or diploma) can help you find work in other industries so it has some value. Trade schools for film make much less sense than accredited film schools. What are they offering you? You're looking for specialized cinematography training. The school in question caters to people with zero experience and jumps into cinematography 1 (of 2) in semester one. How specialized do you think that training is going to be?

Personally, I think ten grand (plus whatever you'd spend on living expenses for the year in school) would be better spent on rent and food while working on low budget productions and gaining experience/making connections in an area where films are being shot.

You made a good point. I see what your saying. Thanks for your quick response.

• Premium Member

I looked at their site, MPI looks flakey. With $10k to back you up, why not just go to work as others have suggested? And/or go shoot a bunch of your own shorts? You're young, strap some balls on. Or go to a real school, like NYU, USC, etc, pay the money, get a degree with value (regardless of whether or not you end up in the film biz).

Just my 2 cents...

I looked at their site, MPI looks flakey. With $10k to back you up, why not just go to work as others have suggested? And/or go shoot a bunch of your own shorts? You're young, strap some balls on. Or go to a real school, like NYU, USC, etc, pay the money, get a degree with value (regardless of whether or not you end up in the film biz).

Just my 2 cents...

yea you guys are right. Its just that in the area I'm in, there is work but they rarely follow up with you even if you volunteer your services and follow up with them daily. (sighs) And the school I'm in, I feel like I've outgrown it to a point there is nothing left for them to teach me. I would love to attend NYU or USC but money ain't looking right. But if I get up more than I fall down opportunity should be knocking at my door soon. Thanks for the advice.

• Premium Member

I feel like I've outgrown it to a point there is nothing left for them to teach me.

You may be right. Sometimes it's time to stop listening to teachers and just do the thing-- after all, that is the goal, correct?

I would love to attend NYU or USC but money ain't looking right.

That's why they have scholarships and student loans. I always see tuition as "list price." Scholarships are the discount you get. But if the 4 year academic route is not your thing, I certainly understand-- it's not for everyone.