zooming with handheld?

• Premium Member

Hi guys. I am a cinematogrpher from South korea.

I am going to shoot a short film with red one.

And I want to use handheld with zooming through all the film. and also I am going to use wireless focusing system.

But I haven't found what kind of camera set up for my film would be fine.

Many times I have seen good shots using zooming and handheld from hollywood film.

But I haven't figured how they did mechanically.

Because of weight of zoom lense, I also worry about the balance of camera.

( I am thinking about using Zeiss VP1 series - Is it good option for my setup? )

In short, Questions are

1. best setup for handheld with zoom lense

2. Is it possibe that I could deal with wireless focusing and zooming

3. finally, so how about the balance of camera?

If you know something about my question,Please help me out.

Plesse forgibe my poor english~~

Thanks.

best regards.

Byun.

• Premium Member

Zeiss variable primes aren't zooms. They are built to be used at specific focal lengths and moving between them will cross areas in the lens that aren't suitable. They are also on the large size for handheld work.

What format are you intending to shoot? That makes a big difference in the possible handheld zoom options.

As for controlling these things, your 1st will be happiest if he at least has remote control of focus with a preston. Motors can be added so he has zoom and/or iris control as well. Giving his zoom control will mean that any focal length changes will need to be rehearsed. If you want a more frenetic style where you punch in and out more freely, I think it's best that the operator have manual control of the zoom. You can ask your 1st to get you a zoom stick at prep that a lot of people like for that style.

• Premium Member

The Red isn't the best handheld camera to start with, so I wouldn't try to put any large zooms on it for handheld. I would probably try to get the small Optimo's if it were me.

Stylistically, you can either use a zoom stick if you want snappier type zooms, or you could use a microforce mounted to the handlebar for smoother zooms. Or you could have someone else doing the zooming, but that wouldn't be my preference in most situations if I were operating.

• Premium Member

Jeez, I can't believe I just read right over the part where he said it would be a red. Like Brad says, not a great handheld camera. The best thing I've found to do with it is velcro a dense gel wristpad for typing to the bottom of the camera. Undersling the batteries (and drive if you're on a solid state drive) in back and extend those top rods to help the balance, as long as it doesn't make the camera too long in back.

Brad, have you ever used the century lightweight zooms? They're only prime size but I expect there must be some image quality compromise there.