DaVinci Resolve on MAc osx

Ha Ha first post

DaVinci resolve on OSX for $1K what do people think?

-Rob-

Like DV, then HDSLRs and non-linear editing, it is a good thing and a bad thing. Good because it gives indies great tools to create and polish great images with very little investment, in a relatively short amount of time. Bad because everyone who has spent millions and countless years acquiring top notch gear and skills now have to compete with everyone and their mothers who are suddenly getting into the business and driving prices WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY down. The revolution is being televised on DIY HDTV apparently.

Definitely wouldn't cut it for any serious supervised work, no matter what the talent is in front of the keyboard. Render times and performance would be horrendous. Most agency producers, creative executives, directors/dps already know this, and have developed relationships with talented colorists, the majority of whom use...how do I put this nicely...more professional setups. The Apple Color(ists) don't have as much influence as some think when it comes to bringing down prices; you get what you pay for, and I'd go so far as to claim that the people who are actually paying money to have their work color corrected know this as well. Becoming an established, or dare I say "respected" colorist doesn't really come from working on a "beefed-up" desktop computer with a calibrated Apple Cinema display. Maybe one day it will though? Who knows.

For independent work where time really isn't an issue, and a proper color session can't be afforded, programs like Apple Color and Davinci's and Filmlight's OSX software bundles are a great alternative.

• Site Sponsor

Definitely wouldn't cut it for any serious supervised work, no matter what the talent is in front of the keyboard. Render times and performance would be horrendous.

I think the $1k is a bit of a confusing figure, you still have to get a Quadro card ($1.8k) and a mac pro with storage etc. Also anyone who is serious about doing colorist work would not be using a apple display for this. We have a 8-core mac with 12Tb and a panasonic 11uk plasma attached SDI running Color (buggy) with the euphonix panels. This machine running Resolve with the Nvidia Quadro card is more or less equal in CPU/GPU performance to a Baselight-1. So the $1k becomes $14k pretty fast but it should be a very workable machine for 2K work.

-Rob-

Yeah the accessories certainly add up, and the performance might be comparable to the high end systems if you sink enough money into it. I was speaking more about the amateur field of color correction, like those freelance editors who call themselves an Editor AND Colorist, it just makes me laugh. The panel is also something of concern, how fast/easily can you switch between layers, add shapes, adjust and track those shapes, conform projects with JL Coopers and Euphonix compared to the "surfboard" panels? Personally I don't know, but speed (and capability, or the illusion of capability, haha) is something of great importance here when people are paying good money to sit behind you.

• Site Sponsor

Panels...

I have the DaVinci network panels on our Y-Front/DUI and certainly the Euphonix or the Wave is nothing but a joke compared to the better panels. I could take the center Joyball network panel (or any of the three) and smash a Wave or MC-Color to smithereens with it and put it back without a so much as a scratch or dent.

That said the DaVinci panels for resolve are only $30K so for about $45k without monitoring you have a single GPU Resolve that after a few jobs can be turned into a multi GPU Linux machine, pretty cool if you are serious about grading.

-Rob-

post-15580-12786902422638.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

I was thinking about buying a Wave for a starting low budget panel. Is it so bad ?

I've graded 5 docs and numerous short form on a Wave and I like it, though it is on the plastic side of things and not as nice as one that costs £20,000 more! basically if you have a good eye then the only thing that you gain from the big boy panels is speed.

• Premium Member
. Becoming an established, or dare I say "respected" colorist doesn't really come from working on a "beefed-up" desktop computer with a calibrated Apple Cinema display

Oh certainly not.

Becoming an established or respected colorist comes from being a despicable flat-cap-wearing Tarquin with a free flat in Zone 2 and a degree of unthinking narcissism that can curdle milk at ten paces

picture-15.png

At least round here it does. They're worse than Steadicam operators.

P

• 7 months later...

[/size]

Oh certainly not.

Becoming an established or respected colorist comes from being a despicable flat-cap-wearing Tarquin with a free flat in Zone 2 and a degree of unthinking narcissism that can curdle milk at ten paces

picture-15.png

At least round here it does. They're worse than Steadicam operators.

P

I'm not sure whether I should be offended as a Colorist...or a Steadicam Operator :)

Phil, please describe this cap in more detail so that I can avoid it!

I'm not sure whether I should be offended as a Colorist...or a Steadicam Operator :)

Phil, please describe this cap in more detail so that I can avoid it!

Now I see. I wasn't loading the images when I made my reply. Never mind :)