Creating the illusion of 3D with a 2D enviroment

Chris Saul

I'm doing a Master's Thesis paper on the techniques of creating the illusion of 3D in a 2D image done with one camera the traditional way, and I would love to hear opinions from some professionals? Below is a list of topics I'm going to cover. Let me know if I'm missing a topic.

Separation
,background light
,backlight
,Optical Flares,Classic 3 point lighting,Depth of Field,lenses,Composition,Texture,Quality of Light,Focus,Ambient Smoke,Color,Movement,Resolution,Special FX
,Flat Imagery
:what makes a flat image,poor lighting
,senor size: 5D and GoPro

~Chris Saul

www.chrissaul.com

Art Center College, Pasadena CA

Camera movement is probably the best way to create a sense of 3D in a 2D image. It creates the spacial information that the brain needs, however, it does need to be used with care otherwise it just becomes an effect lacking in story telling precision.

• 4 months later...

I'm doing a Master's Thesis paper on the techniques of creating the illusion of 3D in a 2D image done with one camera the traditional way, and I would love to hear opinions from some professionals? Below is a list of topics I'm going to cover. Let me know if I'm missing a topic.

Separation
,background light
,backlight
,Optical Flares,Classic 3 point lighting,Depth of Field,lenses,Composition,Texture,Quality of Light,Focus,Ambient Smoke,Color,Movement,Resolution,Special FX
,Flat Imagery
:what makes a flat image,poor lighting
,senor size: 5D and GoPro

~Chris Saul

www.chrissaul.com

Art Center College, Pasadena CA

Don't really know why you would be including specific camera types in this, maybe include them in the depth of field discussion for the sensor size.

If you haven't seen "Citizen Kane", go now, rent it, watch it, see a film print on the big screen if at all possible. It's probably the best "3d" movie ever shot in 2D.

Motion parallax is one of the most telling of the 2D depth cues, seeing the relationship of objects change as the camera moves is very powerful. Occlusions and interposition, one object in front of another is another 2D depth cue. Motion, the apparent speed of an object at a distance seems slower than the same object at the same speed when it's close at hand. Geometric perspective is one you're missing as well as texture gradient, and relative size. I'm assuming by the term Ambient Smoke you are meaning aerial perspective, the haziness you see at a great distance.

Hope this helps, be glad to try to clarify anything for you. Feel free to get in touch if you want.

neihouse@1570films.com www.1570films.com

Cheers and good luck,

JN