LOMO Anamorphic experiment with 5d

Hi everyone,

I have just bought 2 sets of LOMO lenses, and I am trying to get the most out of them with my 5d. I just got the mount today, and the set of round front anamorphic seems quite promising. The set is 35mm f.2, 50mm f.2, 75mm f.2 and 100mm f. 2.8. Both the 75mm and the 100mm cover the whole sensor and clear the mirror of my 5d, so no problem there. The 50mm catches the mirror, but if I put the mirror up before mounting the lens it works fine. When the mirror catches when trying to fall it disengages and seems to take no damage after the lens is removed and the mirror going up/down. The 35mm is just a tiny way off clearing the mirror when it is up - it is hard to tell, but I am guessing less than a mm.

So all lenses except the 35mm seem to be quite useable, but I really want that great lens to work as well..... So I guess I have 2 options: removing the mirror or taking off a tiny bit of the metal on of top of the part that holds the rear element in place. I really want to keep the mirror for stills, so - would filing off a tiny bit of this rear part be a really bad idea? Anyone???

Next idea: I have read a few of the posts here with people experimenting with LOMO anamorphics on the 5d, and of course you loose some resolution by only using about 60-65% of the sensor (for 1:2.40/2.35) So I had the idea of turning the camera vertical and ending up with a picture higher than 1080 pixels. It looks like all the lenses will cover the height of the sensor even when turned 90 degrees, and from testing a little this afternoon it seems I can get 16:9 crop of 2160x1215 (1080x1215 before unsqueezing) - even the widest lens seems to cover that. I guess it defeats the Idea of scope film to be really wide, but it is just an idea to get the best quality out of these lenses with the camera I have at the moment.

Any ideas and warnings appreciated,

Kristian

• Premium Member

Ive been doing this for a while on my 5d, lots of fun. I think turning it 90 degrees as you said is worth some testing, could be nice. I would keep your mirror IMO, 50mm anamorphic is plenty wide.

Links for what its worth;

Little test I did: http://vimeo.com/9116034

Some full 16:9 sensor desqueezing by my friend Charles Lim;

http://vimeo.com/9763086

http://vimeo.com/10158896

Thanks Hunter,

I actually thought of putting my comments as a reply to your similar post ;) Your clips were a major inspiration for me to try these lenses out. I will try out some of the longer lenses vertically to see if the 16:9/anamorphic combination could be an interesting look. Shooting vertical anamorphic and desqueezing to 2160x1215 could be a cool effect, even when downscaled to 1080x1920 to be intercut with other normal HD footage.

I am exploring different looks including anamorphic and s16mm for a TV show idea, a bit like the cool s8mm clips in "Globe Trekker", Travel channel series - but more cinematic, dolly moves, time lapses and so on than the rough hand held look that works so well in those particular scenes.

But I do really want to fit that 35mm to my 5d somehow...... It looks and feels like an absolutely fantastic piece of glass, and it ALLMOST fits.......

Kristian

• 2 weeks later...

50mm anamorphic is plenty wide.

I know this is not what you meant by "wide", but the 50mm is actually the one that covers the narrowest part of the sensor and needs careful alignment to avoid vignetting at 1:2.35

I managed to get the 35mm onto my 5d without removing the mirror :D I did have to remove the padding on the mirror holder though to get the mirror to move another mm up and out of the way of the lens. It now makes a much less shall we say "exclusive" sound when flipping the mirror up - but the 35mm just squeezes in!

Kristian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have just bought 2 sets of LOMO lenses, and the set of round front anamorphic seems quite promising. The set is 35mm f.2, 50mm f.2, 75mm f.2 and 100mm f. 2.8. Both the 75mm and the 100mm

Kristian

Where in thee Hell did you find a 100mm round front anamorphic ? :blink: AND how much did you pay for it? B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Where in thee Hell did you find a 100mm round front anamorphic ? :blink: AND how much did you pay for it? B)

Kristian or Hunter, is there any vignetting with the 50 or 35 on the 5d? How bad is barrel distortion? And what is the closest focusing distance?

I've been dreaming about a set of roundfronts for a while now....

The 35 and 50 don´t cover the whole frame of the 5d, but they don´t need to. When you unsqueeze the image 2x, they both just cover the 2.35 aspect ratio at 1080X2538.

I got the lenses as part of a big lot of Russian camera gear I got at a real bargain (but no, I am not saying how much of one ;-) ) I have actually pretty much decided that I will not be keeping the set of anamorphics after all.... They are too valuable, and as a student I need the cash more than I need these great lenses. I want to hold on to them for a while and play around and do some proper tests, maybe a short of some sort, and then will let them go if I get a good offer. But probably not for a few weeks/months until I have had my "fix" :D I will be selling the set with an adapter for Canon 5d/7d etc, although their real strength would be with a camera like red if digital or of course film.

I will post some tests in a different thread under "lenses" to find out a bit more about the performance of the LOMOs, will post link here though. Barrel distortion is quite visible on the 35mm, and a little on the 50.Have a look at the Vimeo link above for now, and I will post some stills soon. Minimum focus is 1m on all lenses except the 50mm which is a bit less (75cm?)

Kristian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I managed to get the 35mm onto my 5d without removing the mirror :D I did have to remove the padding on the mirror holder though to get the mirror to move another mm up and out of the way of the lens. It now makes a much less shall we say "exclusive" sound when flipping the mirror up - but the 35mm just squeezes in!

Kristian

Does this mean that, for example, ebay PL adapters will work with the mirror intact on all lomo anamorphics?