Examples of the Ultra T 9mm T1.2 Online?

Michael Koshkin

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has a sample of something they've shot with the Ultra T 9mm T1.2 lens for the CP-16R? I just picked one of these up for a very reasonable price and am hoping to use it for some music video projects. I'd love to see something that has been shot with it if anyone has anything online. Searches on youtube and vimeo have left me with nothing so far.

Any thoughts/quirks on the lens would be helpful as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I don't have links to anything at the moment, but I've got that lens, and I can tell you, it's very, very sharp!

Great glass! I have the full CP Ultra Prime set, and I use that lens probably 70% of the time.

Lovely piece of glass, it is!

Matt Pacini

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the note about the lens. We managed to get a test done before our shoot and that was our thought as well. Because we couldn't afford to rent lights for the test we were practically shooting wide open, and even at that stop, we were able to get very sharp focus from a subject a few feet away.

We should be getting the telecine back of our music video tomorrow and I'm very very excited to see how it looks.

I'd really like to pick up some more of the CP Ultra T primes, but definitely can't afford to get the whole set. Are there any others from this set that you'd recommend over others? Any that are amazing? Or any that are no good? More specifically, if I were just going to buy 1 more lens to accompany my 9mm, which would you suggest? I've had my eye on the 25mm for a while, but can't afford it quite yet. If it makes a difference, I'm doing music videos, and will probably work on some short, slightly experimental documentaries and short films.

Best,

Michael

Well, if you were only going to have 2 lenses; the 9mm and one other, then yeah, the 25mm is the one to get I think, because it's the greatest difference in the set from the 9mm.

They're all very nice, at least the set I have.

Really sharp, and even wide open they don't fall apart at all!

I shot once literally at late dusk in the mountains, sun setting FAST behind the trees - you know, that point where your eyes really have to adjust and you're wondering if you're going to get back to the car before dark and getting eaten by mountain lions?

I shot anyway, (because I REALLY didn't want to have to come back to that location), thinking it was probably a waste of time (on Kodak 250D) and it came out great - sharp and bright!

Matt Pacini

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh, another thing to add here:

The CP Ultra Primes were made for Cinema Products by Kowa (believe it or not!).

There are some of these out there housed as Kowa lenses, (they don't say Cinema Products), which you can get for a good price.

They look a bit different, but they are the same glass - plenty sharp & fast!

Matt Pacini

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, another thing to add here:

The CP Ultra Primes were made for Cinema Products by Kowa (believe it or not!).

There are some of these out there housed as Kowa lenses, (they don't say Cinema Products), which you can get for a good price.

They look a bit different, but they are the same glass - plenty sharp & fast!

Matt Pacini

Death Interrupted was shot on a S16mm CP16 with (9.5mm, 12.5mm, 16mm, 25mm) Ultra-T prime set, an Angie Compact Zoom (sold exclusively through Whitehouse AV), and an Angie 5.9mm (wide-angle).

I've worked with all the lenses, going back to early zeiss and I love my Kowa glass. There is actually a video online somewhere comparing Ultra-Ts to Zeiss MK1s. The difference that I saw was in color resolution, and I don't know if it was the film, processing, or lens. The difference seemed to be in the lens, with the Ultra T's having a bit more bluish/greenish tint to it.

That said, my footage looks great to me. My favorite lens, and most used, is the 25mm Ultra-T. I move my camera around with the 25mm, instead of switching lenses in most cases. The only thing I do not like about the Ultra T's is that they only go up to a focal length of 25mm. I would die for a 75mm Ultra-T with the Kowa. I would give an arm for a 50mm.

Please check out my award winning TV pilot shot on Ultra-Ts...

www.watchdeath.com

I am never parting with my Ultra-T's. Never.