Filming TV Screen with Bolex

DavidM

I am working on a project which calls for us to film a TV screen. The camera is a hand cranked Bolex. I was wondering if there is anything we need to do to ensure that we don't get any flickering on the TV screen. The TV will either be a LCD or a Plasma with a response time of 60Hz.

Thanks!

I am working on a project which calls for us to film a TV screen. The camera is a hand cranked Bolex. I was wondering if there is anything we need to do to ensure that we don't get any flickering on the TV screen. The TV will either be a LCD or a Plasma with a response time of 60Hz.

Thanks!

I agree Brian information.

The filming a TV screen with Bolex with mechanical spring motor or hand cranking do not possible. You can't synchronize a speed of shooting of camera with frame scan.

You need cine camera with crystal sync speed control.

But, The many cine cameras with crystal sync speed control can shoot to catch a frame line at TV screen shooting.

Need crystal sync speed control with special Phase adjust fuction.

Our microprocessor controllers have Phase adjust fucntion.

We attach of this fuction to main programm for shoot of a TV screens and synchronize with video assistance devices of camera.

Now, tsi work fine. You run a camera, can check position a frame line on viewfinder or to see winking on TV screen of a video assistance.

You press on " Phase " button of motor control and controller to slow down a speed of camera on a very small value and you see the frame line go to out screen position. Only you do not see frame line, you release "Phase" button, the controiller set crystal sync speed value and you have excellent footage without frame line.

A some time ago, at our previous projects, we use other idea of a synchronize speed of camera with TV screen. We take special pulses from main power or TV signal and send to motor controller.

The electronic adjust of speed of motor with frequency of outside sync signal.

This work, but, ask of long signal cords.

Now, we use of Phase adjusting of a speed fuction at our controllers.

Thanks!

Hi David:

I used a Bell & Howell Filmo and got the following from shooting a computer LCD screen with a 60Hz refresh rate. The sample runs from 00:58 to 01:04.

There's an even shorter sample using a Super 8 camera with very expired film and an LED TV (0:55 to 0:59).

http://vimeo.com/12574842

Both were set to 24 fps. Does it work? Not sure (given the samples are so short in time and I used aged films), but I thought I'd pass them along.

• 2 weeks later...