Lensbaby Composer

I was discussing with another photographer recently about lenses and he mentioned he uses a Lensbaby Composer: http://www.lensbaby.com/lenses-composer.php

Not exactly sure what this is, but it seems interesting. Does anyone know/have one of these?

It works basically like a bellows and allows you to create a focal plane that is not parallel to the film plane. It allows you to have multiple objects the same distance away from the camera, but not all of them in focus. It's not to be confused with a split diopter, which creates two focal planes at different distances with the same lens, both parallel to the film plane.

The Wikipedia article explains more. Also follow the Lensbaby example pictures link at the bottom of the page to see some examples of what you can do with one.

From what I've seen, they don't have the best optics and even the sweet spot is never completely in focus.

I've never used one though.

It works basically like a bellows and allows you to create a focal plane that is not parallel to the film plane. It allows you to have multiple objects the same distance away from the camera, but not all of them in focus. It's not to be confused with a split diopter, which creates two focal planes at different distances with the same lens, both parallel to the film plane.

The Wikipedia article explains more. Also follow the Lensbaby example pictures link at the bottom of the page to see some examples of what you can do with one.

From what I've seen, they don't have the best optics and even the sweet spot is never completely in focus.

I've never used one though.

this seems like something that can be simulated in photoshop anyway. Although I wonder what it would look like on DSLR video, that would be really interesting... Thanks for the reply!

...Although I wonder what it would look like on DSLR video, that would be really interesting...

= "poor-man's" tilt-shift

I recently helped on a music video where a lensbaby, I think it was the composer, was used with a 7D though I've yet to see the footage, it's in edit. I also have a friend who has a lensbaby and 7D I was discussing trying to shoot a music video with. I can check to see if he will let me do a camera test and share footage with you.

• 3 months later...

= "poor-man's" tilt-shift

I recently helped on a music video where a lensbaby, I think it was the composer, was used with a 7D though I've yet to see the footage, it's in edit. I also have a friend who has a lensbaby and 7D I was discussing trying to shoot a music video with. I can check to see if he will let me do a camera test and share footage with you.

*replying months later

haha.

i'd definitely be interested in seeing it. do you have any footage?

• 2 weeks later...