Maintaining Relative Subject Size w/ Zoom Dolly

I wondering if anyone can tell me if there is an equation for maintaining the relative size of a primary subject during a zoom dolly (For instance: Starting 10 feet from the subject on 100mm lens - a camera dolly of 8 feet over five seconds requires an 80mm zoom to maintain the relative subject size in the frame). What is the relationship between the two movements? Thought game - would it be possible to link dolly to zoom mechanically?

-Liam

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know offhand whether that kind of equation exists, although I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Try pre-vising this out in a 3d program- set up a scene with correct proportions and a camera with the correct film back and lens settings, and play with moving the camera and zooming in.

The way you'd automate these things if you were shooting is with a motion control rig.

Thanks, Scott.

Could you recommend a capable 3d program I could track down without too much expense?

-Liam

I don't know offhand whether that kind of equation exists, although I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Try pre-vising this out in a 3d program- set up a scene with correct proportions and a camera with the correct film back and lens settings, and play with moving the camera and zooming in.

The way you'd automate these things if you were shooting is with a motion control rig.

Thought game - would it be possible to link dolly to zoom mechanically?

The Scorpio remote focus system has an optional motion encoder module to do this exact thing. There is a kevlar belt that goes along the dolly track, the encoder reads the position of the dolly on the track, and the MDR automates zoom and focus motors to maintain the same subject size (and focus!)

And then there is full-fledged motion control...

The Scorpio remote focus system has an optional motion encoder module to do this exact thing. There is a kevlar belt that goes along the dolly track, the encoder reads the position of the dolly on the track, and the MDR automates zoom and focus motors to maintain the same subject size (and focus!)

And then there is full-fledged motion control...

Oh, damn, I didn't even know that capability existed. Further evidence that I need to get on set more often...

• 2 weeks later...

I wondering if anyone can tell me if there is an equation for maintaining the relative size of a primary subject during a zoom dolly (For instance: Starting 10 feet from the subject on 100mm lens - a camera dolly of 8 feet over five seconds requires an 80mm zoom to maintain the relative subject size in the frame). What is the relationship between the two movements? Thought game - would it be possible to link dolly to zoom mechanically?

-Liam

If get the dolly done and there is definition to spare, in post-production an

adjusted image scale transformation. 1920 1080 and shotted about twice the definition

it should be possible. Or would that just result in wrong effect though