Cheapest HD telecine machine

Doug Gorius

I'm looking for an HD telecine machine. Could you tell me the cheapest one available, and where I can find it? Thanx.

What gauge film are you wanting to Tk?

Reversal or negative?

New or second-hand?

A rough idea of your budget might also help people with their suggestions: A stupidly cheap second-hand Spirit is still probably more expensive than a new Flashscan or Moviestuff machine ...but they're intended for different usage and areas of the market.

Does anyone have any experience using a telecine machine for personal use?

An item like the Flashscan 16/35 or Moviestuff's devices seem like they could be a real

game-changer for someone involved in film production on a more

modest/independant level-

My curiosity has been piqued if nothing else-

Edited by Robert Costello

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Does anyone have any experience using a telecine machine for personal use?

An item like the Flashscan 16/35 or Moviestuff's devices seem like they could be a real

game-changer for someone involved in film production on a more

modest/independant level-

My curiosity has been piqued if nothing else-

Both machines will do a fine job on reversal but much still comes down to the operator and colorist. The Flashscan is easy to use but Moviestuff's is the best in its class (sub $6000) & you can upgrade to HD now I believe.

While those machine fine for getting the film into a computer, nothing will compare to a really experienced colorist doing what they do. So even if you capture with those machines, make friends with a good colorist you can send the files to and have him adjust the color. Its not always about getting exactly what's on film, often its about making it even better.

• 3 weeks later...

About a year ago, I bought a Golden Eye scanner for a post house that does restoration. They have used it for more than a year. It can scan 16mm or 35 mm, create Quicktime directly in a variety of codecs and has a capstan drive system so is gentle with film. And its 2k or 4k (or both), with options for keycode reader and sound optical reader.

Check them out at www.imagesystems.se. If you're going to IBC, you can see the scanner in operation there and meet with the sales and tech team

Neil Sadwelkar

$350K + perfect for the home user ;-)

-Rob-

I don't think so.

But why don't you contact them and get quote based on the option you need.

My estimate is between Eur. 100k-200k depending on options.

Johan Kihlgren is the person to contact. And he and the scanner are present at the IBC show in Amsterdam.