Cool lights 600 led

Like many I am interested in LED lights . I have been looking for something in between the $1600 light panels and the smaller on camera type LED lights . I ran into a Gaffer in Nashville who said to take a look at Cool lights. I checked out the web site and found a few 600 led panels. The are 10" x 10" and according to the photometrics chart pretty bright. The cost was under $500. Has any one had experience with the 600 led and if so is it a decent light. I understand normally you get what you pay for but for $500 it is worth a look.

Thoughts

Thanks in advance for your continued support.

David Ross

Hi David,

I'm a pretty early adopter of the Cool Lights 600. I have used them a ton. I currently have 5 of them and am looking forward for the 1200 and 2400 unites in development. They are fairly rugged and come with their own shoulder bag which I like a whole lot. It's large enough carry the light, power supply, and a few gels and acrylic panels.

I had an acrylic guy cut some panels so I had some rigid diffusion. I don't have any experience with their softboxes yet however. I have done my fair share of gaffing up some diffusion right over the barn doors.

I like the light that pops out of them, and they have dimmers which work well for subtle changes.

Here's a couple shots of them in action.

_MG_6872.jpg

_MG_6874.jpg

Thanks for your comments Phil. If you get a softbox, you may want to pick up a SPOT version, you will find the softbox works better with them as they are stronger.

What are those two large round lights in the 2nd picture? Just curious.

Edited by Richard Andrewski

What are those two large round lights in the 2nd picture? Just curious.

Those are just two daylight balanced CFLs in china balls. I think 80 watt Enzo bulbs.

The setup worked well for this particular shoot as I was shooting things that needed to remain fairly cool.