Master primes on SR3

No, they will interfere. You can swing the viewfinder way up and the camera will work, but the operating is rather uncomfortable. This is why there is such a different viewfinder to camera intersection design on the 416.

Interestingly enough, the Master Primes will fit fine on all Aatons, even the ones that are 35 years old.

Have to reach back into memory here ...

I think most Ultras are okay and the Cookes will fit if the viewfinder arm is parallel to the camera base (not angled down). It's been a long time since I had an SR in front of me so I could be off on this.

Are you that locked into the camera body? I find that most people will go for lens choice over camera choice. Any Aaton or an ARRI 416 will let you use the glass you want.

• Premium Member

I though that was the case. Is it the same issue with S4's and Ultra Prime?

Mitch's memory is better than mine, I had to go check the Ultras... :unsure:

Both Ultra Primes and S4s will fit an SR3 if the viewfinder arm is horizontal and above, as Mitch said.

For S16 use we fit front masks to the S4s to reduce light spill around the S16 aperture.

For wider angles Cooke also produce a 6, 9.5 and 12mm specifically for S16, called SK4s, colour-matched to the S4s.

Mitch's memory is better than mine, I had to go check the Ultras... :unsure:

Both Ultra Primes and S4s will fit an SR3 if the viewfinder arm is horizontal and above, as Mitch said.

It should be noted that S4s(Older Cooke S4s with no i-spouts) fit fine on an SR3--but Cooke S4/i lenses make you go with the wonky lifted-viewfinder setup. Ultra Primes indeed are clear until you get to the very wide end of the sets (UP 10mm,UP 12mm--not sure on the 8R) which has a thicker barrel and you have to raise the viewfinder slightly to clear the focus ring.