Portabrace AC Pouch - Feedback

Hello Everyone,

We are currently designing an AC Pouch, and were interested in hearing your suggestions/critiques. We have a prototype done and I've posted photos of it below for a sneak peek.

Here are a couple of the features thus far:

• D-Rings on both sides of the case for attaching a tape leash, which will most likely be included with the pouch.
  • We have also built in a battery powered light to illuminate the interior of the case. It runs off of 2AA Batteries and runs at a cool temperature.
  • Made with US-MIL SPEC. 1000 Denier Cordura Durable Fabric.
  • Ridged backing and base.
  • Deep Interior to hold items such as Lens tissue, Cleaner, Tiffen Filters, Lens Caps, Batteries, Screws, Blower, Tape Measure, Insert Slate, Small log book. Did we miss anything?

We have a couple of other ideas that we are going to try and modify on the case and I will post updated photos as we make the design changes. Does anybody have any specific suggestions? Do you like black or blue better? Specific pockets on the exterior of the pouch for certain items? Zipper? No Zipper? Beer Holster? :P Anyways let us know what you think!

-Matt

Product Development

Portabrace INC.

4879537711_b9a411b1a3.jpg

4879537763_8bac3a275c.jpg

4879537889_efb02dd50a.jpg

Love the black, I'd stick with that. Is there a way to have a divider inside the main bay so smaller items can be on one side and larger on the other?

Great idea, actually was looking for something like this, stoked you guys are reading my mind! :)

Love the black, I'd stick with that. Is there a way to have a divider inside the main bay so smaller items can be on one side and larger on the other?

Great idea, actually was looking for something like this, stoked you guys are reading my mind! :)

Interior Divider, should not be a problem, I will let the design team know it will probably be something that can be deployed and then un-deployed depending on if the AC wants to utilize the divider! Thanks for your suggestion!

How about a clip/bracket/strap that allows for easy mounting to a tripod or fluid head so the pouch could be used as a sort of soft front-box?

Also, and this probably is not an issue with the AC pouch, but I know a few vegetarian camera and sound people that wish your bag straps were not made from animal skin.

I for one am against the zipper, velcro is easier. What I've actually been wanting to do is replace the velcro on my pouch with a magnet. It's silent so you can open it while they're rolling and it'll never wear out. Love the idea of the built in light.

I for one am against the zipper, velcro is easier. What I've actually been wanting to do is replace the velcro on my pouch with a magnet. It's silent so you can open it while they're rolling and it'll never wear out. Love the idea of the built in light.

I love the magnet idea! I will check and see if its a possibility to add that in as a feature, a small earth magnet might to the trick. My only concern is if the magnet will cause any problems with certain things that may be stored in the pouch, for example CF cards/SXS cards ect. Or if your holding a magazine at waist level and it comes in close contact with the magnet, could that damage the film stock? I don't think its an issue but do you see any potential problems with a magnet?

As far as the zipper goes I originally voted against the zipper too but then we figured you can just leave the pouch unzipped while you work out of the pouch throughout the day and then at the end of the day it can be zipped up so the items inside don't spill out when its not in use being transported.

Thanks for your feedback Brian we certainly appreciate it! -Matt

I've got some updated photos of the pouch and I will explain the logic behind some of the new design features.

4887392395_6f132d3567.jpg

The front of the case has two slip pockets for dry erase markers and sharpies, then we have two large sized pockets for mini mag lights, lethermans and we have two mid sized pockets for screwdrivers, lens pens ect. Were also going to include some small pieces of foam that can be stuffed into the exterior pockets so if you have smaller items you want to store on the outside of the case they won't get lost in the depth of the pocket.

4887993964_ca4d2418b4.jpg

4887392091_9823e17836.jpg

Were most likely going to re position the web for the tape measure and position it below the two small slip pockets on the front of the case so we can distribute the weight on the case more evenly.

4887994044_0ff4100711.jpg

We have added two elastic pockets on the sides of the case to hold canned air, an air blower, a can of beer ;) or really anything else that you need quick access too.

4887994176_0416943059.jpg

We also added a divider(thanks for the suggestion Bobby) which can be deployed or un-deployed, along with a greyish white material in the on the backside of the case to reflect more light for the built in light. We also built in elastic slips in for storing additional pens, china pencils, lens pens ect.

4887994346_1bb3fd6d5d.jpg

4887392763_87ef376542.jpg

4887994502_f2c0a8bb6b.jpg

4887993902_74bc1749f2.jpg

We redesigned the how the light is placed in the case, its now inside of a flap that can be flipped up and faced outside of the case in situations where you might need to shine some light on the exterior pockets of the case or for any other uses where you might need some light on the outside of the case.

Let me know if you have any questions/suggestions about version 2. Thanks for the input so far! :D

-Matt

Also, and this probably is not an issue with the AC pouch, but I know a few vegetarian camera and sound people that wish your bag straps were not made from animal skin.

I asked someone in the company about this and they said they have gotten requests from vegetarians for different straps. They said they have made alternate straps for vegan/vegetarians when they request them, so let your friends know if they are interested in getting something without the suede we can do custom orders for them. The problem is that they most people like the current straps because of their durability due to the material. Thanks for bringing this up though, honestly I had never really thought about it maybe in the future they will take a different route.

Cool pouch!

The grey interior and the light strip are great features.

If you're going to add a loop to attach a hard tape, please for the love of god put it on something rigid, not on the outside of a side pocket. It would also be great if it was a metal clip like those found on many tool bags. The lack of both of those things eventually leads to the tape measure flying off the pouch when you jump onto the tailgate.... and no amount of excellent tailoring will change that. Many AC's use closed-top tape pouches for that very reason...

Also be careful about letting this pouch get too large. I know some guys like to have the entire set bag on one side of their hip, but the other half like to distribute the tools around their hips so the belt doesn't pull their pants down.

And may I also suggest covering the top of the pouch lid with soft side velcro for quick storage of filter tags, grease tips, etc, etc, etc.

Cool pouch!

The grey interior and the light strip are great features.

If you're going to add a loop to attach a hard tape, please for the love of god put it on something rigid, not on the outside of a side pocket. It would also be great if it was a metal clip like those found on many tool bags. The lack of both of those things eventually leads to the tape measure flying off the pouch when you jump onto the tailgate.... and no amount of excellent tailoring will change that. Many AC's use closed-top tape pouches for that very reason...

Also be careful about letting this pouch get too large. I know some guys like to have the entire set bag on one side of their hip, but the other half like to distribute the tools around their hips so the belt doesn't pull their pants down.

And may I also suggest covering the top of the pouch lid with soft side velcro for quick storage of filter tags, grease tips, etc, etc, etc.

Matt, thanks for your suggestions they are all valid points! Were going to work on coming up with something for the tape measure, something that will lock it in place so it can't fly off. We can definitely add some loop(soft side Velcro) to the top of the pouch, that's an easy addition. Were probably going to do a smaller version of this pouch, probably half the size in width, for those who want a smaller solution. I think we may do an option where you can purchase a belt with the pouch that has some "D" rings on it. I'll post some new photos as we make the design changes. The only thing I'm worried about is the magnetic snap interfering with CF cards and other media. Thanks for the comments everyone!

This is just a personal preference, but I prefer to have the interior divider running the other way (perpendicular to the way it is pictured). That allows me to keep a small moleskine journal or insert slate in the pouch. Other than that I think you've got the makings of a nice product.

This is just a personal preference, but I prefer to have the interior divider running the other way (perpendicular to the way it is pictured). That allows me to keep a small moleskine journal or insert slate in the pouch. Other than that I think you've got the makings of a nice product.

I was thinking about that too, maybe we can try to do something where you can remove or add a longer divider depending on different AC's preferences. Thanks for the input!

• Premium Member

Personally, I think it's much too large and probably too heavy. I like the light. I don't like the size, zipper, and the semi-rigid back. Personally, my perfect pouch would be a full grain leather copy of a lindcraft pouch with a strong magnet closure (and a magnet that you can hold the flap open, too).

Personally, I think it's much too large and probably too heavy. I like the light. I don't like the size, zipper, and the semi-rigid back. Personally, my perfect pouch would be a full grain leather copy of a lindcraft pouch with a strong magnet closure (and a magnet that you can hold the flap open, too).

I'm pretty positive were going to do a smaller version as soon as we finalize this current design, for those who want a more compact option. Our goal with this one is to make it "universal" to give people different options for carrying various accessories since every AC has different needs and preferences depending on the shoot. You don't have to carry it fully stuffed either, you can shed and add things as you wish. We have added the magnet for silent access during takes along with a closed top tape measure pouch. I'll post photos as soon Scott(the designer) has the new version made up. :)

I am a HUGE fan of the light. I don't think it's to big, since I carry so much around with me. I don't like the zipper though, I would keep it unzipped all the time it's an extra step and sometimes you need the extra 2 seconds! I am in love with the magnet idea but that wouldn't work well for transport - I feel like it would come undone in my set bag. Maybe a magnet for set use and keep the zipper for transport? I may have glanced to quickly but there should be some type of carabiner or something that will let you attach a tape roll. Keep it black!

Edited by Cory Dross

I am a HUGE fan of the light. I don't think it's to big, since I carry so much around with me. I don't like the zipper though, I would keep it unzipped all the time it's an extra step and sometimes you need the extra 2 seconds! I am in love with the magnet idea but that wouldn't work well for transport - I feel like it would come undone in my set bag. Maybe a magnet for set use and keep the zipper for transport? I may have glanced to quickly but there should be some type of carabiner or something that will let you attach a tape roll. Keep it black!

I feel like I would also keep mine unzipped all the time to work out of and then just zip it up at the end of the day, if we do a smaller version it probably won't have a zipper. We did a prototype with a magnet and during the design meeting yesterday it was decided to go with a small plastic buckle(out of my control, decision came from a cost/business standpoint :huh: ). The buckle is silent when unclipping and and should hold up better than the magnet when its being transported around after use. There are two "D" rings on the sides of the pouch where a carabiner/tape leash can be attatched if you so wish. Also my understanding is that the pouch will be sold with a belt that has four removable/positionable "D" rings on the belt itself so you could put your tape leash on the opposite side of your belt. The pouch can be removed from the belt and attatched to a different belt if you have another personal preference.

Looks interesting. I like the zipper idea for when I'm not using my pouch and the magnet for when I am. I'm not a huge fan of the air can holder, is it removable?

Any ideas on prices yet?

The elastic slip pocket for the canned air is not removable, but you could use it to store other various things like a tape measure, blower ect. or you can always leave it empty and only store your canned air for shoots that require it often like if your shooting somewhere that has a lot of dirt/dust blowing around.

I'm not sure on prices, I have no pull or input on what they will decide on for a price. They want the pouch wrapped up this week so we should have it posted on our website for purchase this week, I think... I will post photos of the final design or next version as soon I as get one. :D

Sorry for the delay it took a little longer than expected to get the next version up. We added a few things and still have some kinks to work out.

4910582998_643af9955e.jpg

As you can see this version has a buckle instead of a magnet :blink: The buckle is going to have to be removed because its too difficult to resnap it if your in a hurry, which is why the magnet would have been the best option, I'm super bummed the higher ups won't take the magnet route. But it is possible to add your own magnet. ;)

4909983023_68f6502c90.jpg

We added a slip pocket onto the inside of the exterior flap. You could drop a magnet in here and secure it with some gaffers tape and then drop the opposite charged magnet into the middle exterior pocket and create your own magnet locking pouch(I'm totally doing this for mine).

4909983143_b066c4a7db.jpg

We added 3 small pockets into the lid that can hold CF cards or other small items. We also added some loop for sticking filter tags onto. The large sized zipper will be also be downsized, we think this size zipper is a little overkill.

4910583168_efdf1f01e5.jpg

New tape measure holder with a closed top so the tape doesn't fly out. Its large enough to hold a 60ft. hard tape measure.

4909983369_9366546826.jpg

Here's the included belt that comes with a "D" ring for attaching a tape leash.

Should be available early next week, assuming we don't encounter any problems. Any thoughts on this one?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I'll take #1...PM me a link and I'll get an AMEX number to you. I've been looking for something that would make a nice companion to my 7D for run and gun. I'll vote for no magnet. There are too many ways of that causing a disaster...like erasing a couple of credit cards tucked away in a filter pouch!

What was their reasoning for losing the magnet, Matt?

Is the bag ready for production?

They weren't ready to order a high quantity of magnets yet to get a good deal on them because they need to make sure they can actually get orders for the case before they add something like a magnet which will create higher production costs. I don't have a whole lot of say in the decisions I can only give my suggestions based off my experience and suggestions through this thread, sometimes they take them, sometimes they don't. :blink:

They bag is pretty much ready for production I just need to confirm a few things before I get the photos up on the web. Gotta make sure design, and marketing are on the same page so things aren't shipped incorrectly. Its looking like there will be a few options to buy it with a belt or with a shoulder strap.

Alright so the AC pouch is done :) and its up on our website and should be available from our online dealers shortly.

Here are some of the features:

• Available in Blue or Black, with a belt or a shoulder strap.
  • 14 Various Pockets for tools and accessories.
  • Built in strip light with blink and constant modes, can be flipped up outside of the case.
  • Loop(soft side velcro) along the top of the bag for attaching filter tags.
  • 3 Small pockets in the lid for CF cards or other small items.
  • Deployable Divider.
  • Comes with carabiner tape leash.
  • Pouch can be attatched without removing your belt.
  • The belt version comes equipped with 4 positionable "D" rings.

ac-3b_e.jpg

Fully Loaded, accessories obviously not included. Keep in mind you don't have to stuff it full with half of your ditty bag, but you've got the option. :P

ac-3_light.jpg

Interior Light B)

acb-3b_d.jpg

3 Slip pockets for dry erase, 1 closed top pocket for a tape measure, 2 medium sized pockets for screw drivers or mini mag light, 2 larger pockets for leather man, utility knife or anything else you might have!

ac-3b_a_side.jpg

Shoulder Strap Version.

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on this I think it was beneficial to our design team! If you have any questions about this pouch or our other cases feel free to contact me. :)