Portabrace AC Pouch - Feedback

$180?!?!?! You must be joking.

Other items that cost about the same:

• One 4x4 filter
  • One complete C-stand
  • Harrison Film Changing Tent
  • One 400' can of 16mm film
  • Least expensive Anton Bauer battery

Portabrace and other quality bags made for film professionals last for decades with regular use.

• Premium Member

Other items that cost about the same:

• One 4x4 filter
  • One complete C-stand
  • Harrison Film Changing Tent
  • One 400' can of 16mm film
  • Least expensive Anton Bauer battery

Portabrace and other quality bags made for film professionals last for decades with regular use.

Some people seem to equate what they can buy a cheap Chinese backpack for at Walmart with what purpose built professional gear costs. I've got a Portabrace Nagra bag I first repurposed for a PD4 (worked surprisingly well) that now carries a piece of test equipment. You cannot wear out their gear.

Some people seem to equate what they can buy a cheap Chinese backpack for at Walmart with what purpose built professional gear costs. I've got a Portabrace Nagra bag I first repurposed for a PD4 (worked surprisingly well) that now carries a piece of test equipment. You cannot wear out their gear.

Actually I was equating what is available at Filmtools.com. With Filmtools and Lindcraft AC pouches never getting over $40 and Arri's pouces never going over $50, $130-$140 more seems ridiculous. Even is my Lindcraft pouch gets destroyed every two years I could still get 4 of them for the price of 1 PortaBrace pouch.

• Premium Member

Actually I was equating what is available at Filmtools.com. With Filmtools and Lindcraft AC pouches never getting over $40 and Arri's pouces never going over $50, $130-$140 more seems ridiculous. Even is my Lindcraft pouch gets destroyed every two years I could still get 4 of them for the price of 1 PortaBrace pouch.

Fair enough. Are those two as large and adaptable as the Portabrace?

• Premium Member

Fair enough. Are those two as large and adaptable as the Portabrace?

No and that's a good thing. Adaptability makes it heavier. I've never met an assistant who likes carrying all that crap on their belt anyway.

• 1 month later...

This looks cool! I have two concerns... I feel that trying to get too much in a single pouch just gets too heavy and ends up slowing you down. That being said, I think the canned air holder should be deeper. I used to have a shallow one and it would fall off all the time!! >:(

I dunno, when it comes to an AC pouch, for me, the smaller it is the better. That way I'm not overloading the pouch and putting all the weight in just one area on my belt. I prefer to have my tools distributed throughout my belt, so I have my tape measure, canned air, Leatherman and AC pouch evenly around my waist. I bend down and walk around too much to have an over the shoulder type pouch, so I need to have it secured to my waist.

i love the idea of the light inside, and the zipper option if I need to close it up tightly. I have a Cinebags AC pouch, and even that's getting too poofy & big for my needs. I need something thin and minimal like the Lindcraft brand. Anything else I would rather just throw in a runbag instead of having to have it on my person all day.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think it's much too large and probably too heavy. I like the light. I don't like the size, zipper, and the semi-rigid back. Personally, my perfect pouch would be a full grain leather copy of a lindcraft pouch with a strong magnet closure (and a magnet that you can hold the flap open, too).

I can make you one but it would be kind of pricey. You would however never have to buy another one

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dunno, when it comes to an AC pouch, for me, the smaller it is the better. That way I'm not overloading the pouch and putting all the weight in just one area on my belt. I prefer to have my tools distributed throughout my belt, so I have my tape measure, canned air, Leatherman and AC pouch evenly around my waist. I bend down and walk around too much to have an over the shoulder type pouch, so I need to have it secured to my waist.

i love the idea of the light inside, and the zipper option if I need to close it up tightly. I have a Cinebags AC pouch, and even that's getting too poofy & big for my needs. I need something thin and minimal like the Lindcraft brand. Anything else I would rather just throw in a runbag instead of having to have it on my person all day.

FYI: The Lindcraft Jumbo AC Pouch is basically the exact same thing as the cinebags pouch.

Setwear has some decent stuff. For minimalist check out Modular 51's small ac pouch. Only downside is if you're not in canada you have to pay import duties and they don't know how much that will be so after ordering there will be an additional unknown charge.

• 1 month later...

I've been waiting for someone to make an AC pouch out of some sort of non-water absorbing material. I work in the rain a lot, and over the course of a day my pouch can get soaked.

Something like a drybag material, or the stuff that they make the North Face duffels out of would be good. It would offer more water resistancy, as well as be easier to dry out once it got wet.

I've been waiting for someone to make an AC pouch out of some sort of non-water absorbing material. I work in the rain a lot, and over the course of a day my pouch can get soaked.

Something like a drybag material, or the stuff that they make the North Face duffels out of would be good. It would offer more water resistancy, as well as be easier to dry out once it got wet.

I used these on a shoot recently and they are amazing when working in the rain. You can easily add some dividers and pockets with velcro if needed. http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/packs-and-duffles/seal-pak/product