Shooting Super 16 2.40:1

James Rydings

• Premium Member

Hi James,

There's also a decent still in Cinelicious' feature film section of an anamorphic S16mm image on a recent Indie (prores 4444) DI we did for the movie "From the Head". Haven't finished the DI yet as it's still in editorial. Not sure if they're doing a 35mm print yet. I think HDCAM-SR is the intended screener right now. Lenses were Panavision S16mm anamorphic. They looked at Hawks but got a great deal on the panys.

-Paul

• Premium Member

Look out for Black Swan. It is S16mm and in 2.4 like The Wrestler. He doesn't mind using 500asa stocks, which I like to avoid for S16, but obviously it can be very appropriate! Having the ideal post path and lenses certainly help with going that route.

Hi James,

I did one feature on the same format, after DI its been printed on 35mm for theater release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huq3jwAEUGg

I shot 5 feature on 35, but this was my first, planning one more on same format, shooting on anamorphic lenses is fun, but its difficult to get on 16, so I just took the gate to frame right, and than on DI we cropped top and bottom.

Does anyone have an example of a film shot in s16, framed for 2.40:1, then cropped and blown up to 35mm with a DI?