Mixing Film & Digital

Hi,

I"m about to embark on my first DP job for a graduate film at film school. Pretty excited but pretty nervous of messing up!

The director has his heart set on shooting some on the scenes on digital since we're under time and stock constraints. The general consensus of staff is that we shouldn't.

We've been discussing that under the right conditions it could possibly ADD to the film.

For example, there's a bathroom scene (2 point lighting, dark) where the protagonist has been thrown in the bath and drugged, I thought we could do all the close ups of him struggling and slipping and sliding on digital slr, as the depth on those can be pretty amazing, then at least if it does look a little different it will be consistent with shot size and subject, then try to match it best I can with a nice sharp stock like Fuji ETERNA VIVD 500T.

Just wondering what your opinions are and if anyone could give any advice for lighting and post/grading as well, as I'd prob have to tone down lighting for the digital shots right?

Thanks for reading....

• Premium Member

First, you need to use your real name like everyone else does.

If you want to try and match, make sure you keep overexposure under control in the SLR shots. I'd use softer or lower contrast lighting overall. They have much less range than film does and when being graded later, there will be issues if you don't watch this closely. Having a good grade done, by someone experienced, will be very important.

If you are shooting 16mm, stay away from 500asa stocks as the grain will be tough to match on top of everything else the SLR's do poorly.

If you are shooting 16mm, stay away from 500asa stocks as the grain will be tough to match on top of everything else the SLR's do poorly.

You can always rate it at 320ASA to cut down on the grain. Or shoot Vision3 7219. The grain is very minimal in the new Kodak line. OR add some grain to the digital images ala MagicBullet. I've seen some very convincing stuff done with that.

If I were shooting it I'd try to go all one format. Be it film or digital. That way you know for sure that it is going to match. Unless you don't want it to match.

Edited by Michael Kubaszak