Cartoni dutch head or 90 deg. plate??

Bobby Shore

hey,

I have an upcoming shoot that's gonna require a bunch of shots where we need to rig the camera sideways to shoot with the frame vertically oriented. We;re shooting RED MX framing for 16:9. I don't have a ton of experience with either the dutch head or 90 degree plate, if anyone has any advice on the best way to do this, I'm all ears. Do I even need a special head/adapter, or can I just throw the baseplate on sideways and tilt away?

Not sure this really belongs in gripping, but figured it was a camera placement question. Thanks in advance!

Bobby Shore

DP

Mtl/LA

www.bobbyshore.com

hey,

I have an upcoming shoot that's gonna require a bunch of shots where we need to rig the camera sideways to shoot with the frame vertically oriented. We;re shooting RED MX framing for 16:9. I don't have a ton of experience with either the dutch head or 90 degree plate, if anyone has any advice on the best way to do this, I'm all ears. Do I even need a special head/adapter, or can I just throw the baseplate on sideways and tilt away?

Not sure this really belongs in gripping, but figured it was a camera placement question. Thanks in advance!

Bobby Shore

DP

Mtl/LA

www.bobbyshore.com

For most tilt plates you just slap the base plate on the tilt head and attach the locking plate to the other side of the tilt plate and then set your angle. Its pretty simple and fool proof...

If you are worried have your ac check it on his prep day but you should be fine without that.

As for the Dutch head, if you think you may need some room to adjust the degree in which the camera is turned, it may be smart to get a dutch head which is much more malleable(and expensive). If you know you need it to be exactly 90 degrees, the plate may be your best bet. Even with the plate you could orient the head parallel to the scene, mount the camera perpendicular, and use the tilt to give you minor adjustments.