435 Loading

Hey Guys,

I have a gig as Clapper/Loader (thats English for 2nd AC) a music promo this weekend with the 435, and I've never used this particular camera before. Majority of my experience is with S16 (Sr2/3), Aaton and used 416 and Cameflex before too.

Pick up I believe is the morning of the shoot, and we are shooting about 16 rolls (4 different stocks, mostly S/E I'm guessing), and have 4 400' mags; so it looks like we are going to be doing a lot of loading, unloading, shorting and re-cans.

Does anyone have any tips, techniques about the loading procedure for this camera, specifically with how to thread the loop into the camera body itself? Anything that would help me streamline the process and keep everything organised?

Much Obliged Chaps!

Rob

• Premium Member

If you have never loaded an Arri III or 435 mag you should go to a rental house with some junk stock and practice, it won't take long but you need to know before the shoot.

Hey Guys,

I have a gig as Clapper/Loader (thats English for 2nd AC) a music promo this weekend with the 435, and I've never used this particular camera before. Majority of my experience is with S16 (Sr2/3), Aaton and used 416 and Cameflex before too.

Pick up I believe is the morning of the shoot, and we are shooting about 16 rolls (4 different stocks, mostly S/E I'm guessing), and have 4 400' mags; so it looks like we are going to be doing a lot of loading, unloading, shorting and re-cans.

Does anyone have any tips, techniques about the loading procedure for this camera, specifically with how to thread the loop into the camera body itself? Anything that would help me streamline the process and keep everything organised?

Much Obliged Chaps!

Rob

it's a piece of cake. one of my fav mags to load. it's very straightforward and there aren't any 'tricks' unlike a 535 mag. do as stephen says and go to the rental house and practice loading. out of the bag first, then in. the people working at the rental house should be more than happy to help you.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm studying the guide and have booked a bit of time at the rental house while the kit is all being checked out to have a look at it all.

On a related note, the DOP mentioned in passing today something about the 1st AC threading the film into the mag on switch overs. Surely this is the loader's responsibility? Should I take this as a slip of the tongue from the DP or is this a procedure that ANYONE has seen before? Seems odd to me. I assumed it was a mistake on his part. Thoughts?

• Premium Member

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm studying the guide and have booked a bit of time at the rental house while the kit is all being checked out to have a look at it all.

On a related note, the DOP mentioned in passing today something about the 1st AC threading the film into the mag on switch overs. Surely this is the loader's responsibility? Should I take this as a slip of the tongue from the DP or is this a procedure that ANYONE has seen before? Seems odd to me. I assumed it was a mistake on his part. Thoughts?

No slip up. The loader loads magazines and keeps paperwork. The 1st threads the camera body.