FRINGE season 3

Digital switch was briefly considered at the beginning of this season. Its very nice to shoot film though!

gm

A very wise move, IMHO. The great look of the cinematography of this show shot on film is what

caught my eye to start with. I have actually stopped watching some popular shows that are digital because of the look. Maybe it's just me, but often times the actors look horrible. Maybe more natural or ordinary, but I see the same poop in the mirror every morning... :)

Peeling away the veneer in closeups doesn't help. I view it like in the '60s when color film finally took over and B+W almost died out. Like arguing the benefits of digital today, color film had its proponents, but actors never looked better on the big screen when filmed by master cinematographers in B+W. Not saying shows should be shot on B+W, but I see digital as another step down instead of making the experience for the viewer more memorable.

• 2 weeks later...

Greg,

One MAJOR mistake that I saw at least 5 times in last night's episode is TREES and GREENERY in the frame while the story

is set in the alternate universe - where all plant life has died off. Please mention this to the director of each episode.

It will help to sell the story if they pay attention to small details like that. The show looks great! Keep up the good

work.

There are still some trees and greenery in the Alternate Universe. Its all over Liberty Island in Ep 1. and outside of Walternates office.

I think fruits and Veggies are rare though.

gm

Don't all those long days end up costing a fortune, as regards union overtime rules?

How much a show costs depends directly on how much they are willing to spend. The studio and network do very careful evaluations, they know how much is too much based on its success.

It certainly costs more to shoot long hours. If they ever decide its too much they will stop. Television has 1 criteria above all and that is delivery. The ability to produce 22 episodes in a certain number of weeks. We rarely shoot over 14hrs, after that it truly becomes cost prohibitive. We do often shoot new scenes or pick up new versions of scenes after an episode has been cut. Thats an expense obviously but it allows the showrunners much more control over the final episodes. The first 2 scenes of 304 were reversed in editing and a new scene shot to bridge the 2.

gm

Just a quick thanks for posting up this info. Great show and always loved the cinematography. Amazing what you guys can do with such a tight schedule.

Thanks David.

Happy to share. I always remember when I was in film school the few DP's we had as guests and the amazing amount of candid info they shared.

gm

• 1 month later...

Great show Greg! It is too bad that so many shows have gone digital.

Are you staying with the show? You mentioned that you were involved in episodes 2,4,6 and 8.

I also wondered if maybe Yatsko was leaving the show. They seemed to give him a nod in episode 309 twice referring to Yatsko, Peters Cocker Spaniel which could not be reanimated.

Currently I'm shooting Episodes 13 and 15 while Tom Yatsko directs Ep 14. So I'm filling in for him. That should be it for me on the show. Tom and David Moxness will finish out the year. I do not believe that Tom has any plans to leave. I know that the show runners and Tom go way back to Alias days so their reference is not that surprising.

There is a certain amount of anxiety around FOX's decision to move the show to Friday night in January and there is no guarantee that Fringe will return for a 4th season. I'm optimistic however that its large PVR/TIVO audience will allow them to do well on Fridays and we'll get to see a lot more Fringe.

best

Greg

Great show Greg! It is too bad that so many shows have gone digital.

Are you staying with the show? You mentioned that you were involved in episodes 2,4,6 and 8.

I also wondered if maybe Yatsko was leaving the show. They seemed to give him a nod in episode 309 twice referring to Yatsko, Peters Cocker Spaniel which could not be reanimated.

Currently I'm shooting Episodes 13 and 15 while Tom Yatsko directs Ep 14. So I'm filling in for him. That should be it for me on the show. Tom and David Moxness will finish out the year. I do not believe that Tom has any plans to leave. I know that the show runners and Tom go way back to Alias days so their reference is not that surprising.

There is a certain amount of anxiety around FOX's decision to move the show to Friday night in January and there is no guarantee that Fringe will return for a 4th season. I'm optimistic however that its large PVR/TIVO audience will allow them to do well on Fridays and we'll get to see a lot more Fringe.

best

Greg

Thanks for the reply. I would hate to see Fringe go. It has to be one of my favorites if not my favorite show on TV right now. The cinematography, audio, writing and acting are all superb! I will be watching no matter what night it shows. I hope all goes well!

Thanks again,

Sean

best

Greg

FRINGE is a great show and I will be watching until the final episode. Please keep us posted on your upcoming television DP work, we all appreciate your input a great deal. Happy Holidays.