Me and my indie film

Hi. My friends and I are filming a short indie film this coming winter. I have a variety of exoerience and training, but mostly think of myself as amateur. My good friend is a videographer and CGI artist. We have a good story and I am nailing together a script based on it. He has elected me to be director and that makes him my DP.

It's a fantasy movie, and we're going to be taping on HD in the Sierra Nevada, in the snow. I'm blessed to have some amazingly talented and dedicated up-and-coming actors on this voyage.

The thing that concerns me most is of course, shooting in the winter in the snow. Days will be short (although we're in California), the weather and lighting will be unpredictable and of course I expect the cast and crew to be cold and miserable.

But it will be glorious.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roland Zagonyi

Make sure you get a good sound mixer, boom operator and sound editor, people always try saving money on sound, it's never worth it. Bad quality sound is the trademark of amateur films, avoid it.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a guy who's taking a music eidting class in college. He's so willing to get the experience that I've cast him as one of the film's monsters. Actually, both monsters, since they are composited twins.

I agree about amateur sound; I hear this a lot on local TV commercials. We'll have to do some Foley, We may re-record dialog in studio, although I prefer live. And I have some classical music to cut up for the score. Thanks!

Robert E. Howard's The Frost-Giant's Daughter

Edited by DouglasSunlin

• 2 weeks later...

It is a bit much, considering our circumstances, but we are planning to do a screen test of one key scene that involves a number of technical challenges.

Our hero does combat with a pair of giants, played by one normal sized actor. We have a size double to play the hero to make the giants look big. We'll do a reverse shot or two in order to show the actual hero actor. It's also against a green screen, and we'll add a snowy background later. I don't want to just make the background white, since the color of snow varies slightly with light and the angle. Then we'll add some snowflakes to tie everything together.

So, yes, a screen test is essential in this case, I think. :)