Circle Dolly and Green Screen

I'm a student looking for some help with a particular shot in one of our projects it basically goes like this....

15. MFS
 Circle-Dolly ,
 Front
Of
Subject
 to 
Back
Of
Subject.

John
 rips 
into 
the 
main
 chords 
into 
the 
song. 
As 
we 
dolly 
around
 to 
his 
backside, 
his 
bedroom
 wall
 turns 
into 
a 
full 
blown
 concert 
at 
a 
large 
venue.

SO...

my question is how do I film a subject with a greenscreen background if there is going to be a circle dolly? Is there an easier way to do this than green screen?

My plan so far is to somehow rig a green screen opposite the camera on another circle dolly and the background would move as the camera moved, then simply replace the greenscreen with a circle dolly shot of the bedroom and fade it to a circle dolly shot of the concert.

Shooting format is RED

Please any advice is helpful

Thanks!

Edited by Rob Aitken

• Premium Member

My plan so far is to somehow rig a green screen opposite the camera on another circle dolly and the background would move as the camera moved, then simply replace the greenscreen with a circle dolly shot of the bedroom and fade it to a circle dolly shot of the concert.

That could work but moving the green screen opposite the camera probably won't be as easy as it sounds.

Your other option is to just get enough green screen so that it covers the whole area you need it to and you don't have to move it. You can still fade the two shots together.

• 4 weeks later...

depending on your lighting scheme and how much of a perfectionist you are, you might want to consider rotating your talent rather than your camera. that way, you can just set up the greenscreen opposite your talent, and when he rotates on the spot, the illusion will be that the camera is rotating around him. this won't work with a full-body shot. nor will the lighting be perfect (unless you rotate that too). this is not the ideal way to get the shot, but it is a possible and very cost-efficient way to get close to it. just an option to keep in mind.

• 5 weeks later...

Rotating would definitely cause lighting problems.

I think your best option is to just get enough green screen to go all the way around. You could try moving the green screen as the dolly moves but that might require another dolly or some kind of crazy rig that you probably don't have access to.

You will need markers to go on the screen and someone who is capable of 3D tracking and making 3D backgrounds to blend together....or you have to shoot really good plates of a bedroom and concert that will blend together.

I second rotating the talent. Put your lights on a dimmerboard and change values while rotating. You will be lighting the background separately anyway so I don´t see lighting problems. With a 360° green you would need a huge area and that just to keep lighting simple. Can´t see any benefit there.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to shoot your background plates first, that's the most important thing when chromakeying, then light your green screen footage to match.

Personally I think depending on what your talent is wearing it might be easier to just do a full circle in the bedroom and rotoscope him out and add the background. Then you won't have any gear in the shot either.

Is the shot a medium or close up, or a full body? I can offer some more suggestions too if you let us know what kind of shot it's gonna be.

• 3 weeks later...

Basically you have two ways if you don't have an entirely green room. Rotate the talent, which gives you some lighting problems (as has been stated), or rotoscope (which can be a pain). IMHO roto will be your best bet, if you think you have the time in post (it doesn't take that long, but I don't know if you're really pressed). Shoot the talent in the bedroom with the circle dolly and roto from there. Or shoot in the studio with the green screen so you only have to roto half the shot, but even that will give you some lighting issues to be had with any chromakeying.