Natural as possible

I am shooting this production next month and we did a test run for a visual effect but i need some more ideas on how to light it as natural as possible. I'm thinking 1 1200w HMI rigged high to light the foreground and midground, and a 2k tungsten with a flicker master for the background and fire effect.

post-48382-082318400 1286835442.jpg

• Premium Member

one way to do it with two lights...

1200 bounced from the top for general ambiance which is to be kept at proper zone - lets say 2 or 3 (doesn't need to be HMI for required level)... and the other light as 3/4 back for edge on the face.

If not for glasses you could add sonething from the front for eyes

janusz

www.lightextreme.com

• Premium Member

I am guessing you mean a natural fire effect? I'd rig up a few lights for the fire, and dim them randomly each with slightly different gel on them, for example full CTO, some Straw, and some Red, were you to do 3 lights, lets say and let that hit the talent from the same direction as the flames, and then use whatever else you need for the "ambiance," if necessary and/or back lights etc.

im sorry i didn't make the set up and my goals clear. im just trying to make it look night but not over light it. The actor will not be wearing glasses. the person in the picture was a test subject. natural night look is what im going for.

You could put the key through an opal frame, something light enough to soften without cutting the intensity too much.

I agree with Adrian on the three light flicker setup. You can't sell a fire effect with one light. Two is a little iffy. A setup with one 2K and 2 1K's or 650's can look very realistic, but it still takes a bit of playing around with the flicker settings. If one of the smaller lights is set to occasionally peak a little higher than the other, it reads as dry wood flaring up. Having three lights also gives you the option of directing one toward background elements to give more dimension to the effect (for example: keeping a warm, undulating glow on the ground and lower areas of the frame while a more intense, wilder flicker hits higher in the frame).

I am guessing you mean a natural fire effect? I'd rig up a few lights for the fire, and dim them randomly each with slightly different gel on them, for example full CTO, some Straw, and some Red, were you to do 3 lights, lets say and let that hit the talent from the same direction as the flames, and then use whatever else you need for the "ambiance," if necessary and/or back lights etc.

You could put the key through an opal frame, something light enough to soften without cutting the intensity too much.

I agree with Adrian on the three light flicker setup. You can't sell a fire effect with one light. Two is a little iffy. A setup with one 2K and 2 1K's or 650's can look very realistic, but it still takes a bit of playing around with the flicker settings. If one of the smaller lights is set to occasionally peak a little higher than the other, it reads as dry wood flaring up. Having three lights also gives you the option of directing one toward background elements to give more dimension to the effect (for example: keeping a warm, undulating glow on the ground and lower areas of the frame while a more intense, wilder flicker hits higher in the frame).

Thank you so much those were awesome suggestions that i'm probably going to go with.