Camera Settings for Action Scene

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums and have been enjoying all the incredible information available. I had a question and haven't stumbled upon it in a thread but I'm still searching. So here it is. I was looking for advice on some camera settings I should use while shooting an action/fight sequence. I'm shooting on a Rebel T2i. I've done a fair amount of music video work and simple narrative shooting but I haven't shot anything like this before. I plan on doing some tests with my camera but would love any advice or input as to settings I should try out and experiment with. Thanks in advance.

Here is what I traditionally use for settings. 1080 @ 24fps, shutter speed 1/50 (since it can't shoot 1/48) I was thinking if I increase my shutter speed to over 150 it would give me the feel I think I'm looking for. Well at least part of it. Something like "Saving Private Ryan". Not really sure what else I should do with the camera. Most of it will be the angles used and how it's cut. But any advice would be great!

I think they used a 15 or even 10 degree shutter. The skinny shutter can help for intense action. But beware I personally find it hard to look at when it's misused... They also added some shutter phase in SPR.

15 degrees: 1/576

10 degrees: 1/864

Hope this helps!

Very cool. I will test out those settings and see what results I get. I agree if over used it can be difficult to watch. It's for an intense attack scene. The effect I am trying to obtain is high energy that is unnerving. Thanks for the quick response!

• 1 month later...