"Reflection" - short 3 minute montage, please critique

Liam Howlett

• Premium Member

Sorry broken links, I reuploaded it...but seems like nobody even watched it, so why bother., This section seems to be dead anyway, nobody really gives any feedback except like 1 or 2 people.

A day in the life of Dewey Beach I get it Liam! Nicely shot, and nicely edited. I think the lack of response is because there's really nothing to critique! What exactly was Reflection?

A day in the life of Dewey Beach I get it Liam! Nicely shot, and nicely edited. I think the lack of response is because there's really nothing to critique! What exactly was Reflection?

Well I don't know, a various amount of things. People could critique my ability to compose shots or lack thereof for starters. Maybe give feedback on editing, structure, flow, what worked what didn't - what I could improve on and such. When I don't see any feedback I just take it as people didn't like it. You know what I mean?

I called it Reflection after the music I used "Uki Reflection" - I didn't really have a "narrative" it was a montage of images, but I captured some shots like the kids, and the old woman (my grandmother) walking on the beach, and gave it a tone and music trying to achieve a melancholic, nostalgic emotion. Don't know if I succeeded in bringing that out in whomever watched it. This is why I wanted to hear some feedback, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

The images were interesting and well shot but all it was was a montage of images. Cinematography's about using photography to bring out an emotion or to better the telling of a story visually; it's tied in with the narrative aspects inherent in film. Photography and cinematography are completely different mediums. I think what Kieren is trying to say is that it was quality photography but there's nothing to critique when talking about cinematography.