Spam?

JD Hartman

Anyone else fin this in their inbox:

I'm sorry for this odd request because it might get to you too urgent but it's because of the situation of things right now,I'm stuck in United Kingdom with family right now,we came down here on vacation,we were robbed, worse of it was that our bags, cash and credit cards were stolen of us at GUN POINT, it's such a crazy experience for us, we need help flying back home, the authorities are not being 100% supportive but the good thing is that we still have our passports but don't have enough money to clear the hotel bills, please i need you to loan me some money, I'll reimburse you as soon as I'm back home.PROMISE,You have my word,Hope to hear from you soon.

Douglas Smith

Dougwsmth@aol.com

D+D Production Service T/A

Carnage Brothers Grip&Elect.

True, I get an email from Nigeria or Ghana almost weekly. However, his seems targeted at a particular community. It doesn't appear that Mr. Smith is a member here. Maybe at CML? Was the mailing lifted from some BBS? Maybe DV.com?

• Premium Member

True, I get an email from Nigeria or Ghana almost weekly. However, his seems targeted at a particular community.

Another scam that's been doing the rounds is where elderly European migrants (usually) get a letter (in the post that is), where someone pretending to be a lawyer tells them that some previously unknown relative of theirs with the same surname, has died and they are apparently the only living relative and thus in line to inherit their estate. I presume if you follow this up you will get asked for expense money up front.

This happened to an old lady I know who emigrated here in the 1950s. The interesting thing is, the surname she has is her late husband's and is the result a German refugee camp clerk trying to spell a Russian name with a German alphabet! Using English rules of pronunciation, it sounds nothing like their original name... That was the name that ended up on their immigration papers, and being stereotype paranoic Russians they decided to keep that name so the KGB couldn't track them down :rolleyes:

The thing is, she appears to be the only person in the world who has that name, since they only had two daughters and they are both married, so it could be nothing but a scam. We just wonder how they got hold of her name and address.

Yeah, I was about to say, not even the constables in the UK carry guns. . .

Maybe if they'd inserted a different country, I'd have fallen for it and sent them all of my card numbers. Better luck next time, guys ;-)

• Premium Member

Art Adams wrote on CML the following in reply to a similar request:-

Sean, I am more than happy to send you all the cash you need. But first I need some sort of good faith deposit. Could you please prepare a wire transfer in the amount of US$10,000? As soon as I receive it I will know that you are serious and I'll be happy to loan you whatever you need.

I'm rolling in money at the moment as I am facilitating a multimillion dollar fund transfer from a dead African monarch to his exiled children and I get to keep 20% of the total for my troubles. Imagine how lucky I am that they rolled the dice and asked me to help them! I am indeed fortunate, and I am happy to share some of this fortune with you.

Actually, make the wire transfer US$20,000. I look forward to hearing from you!