Canon 5D and HMI

Juan Pablo Siquot Ferre

Hello everybody.

I will start a shooting next month for an inde feature film production.

Lights have to be nice, technically ok and quick install. For some interiors the best choice is 5600K jokerbugs bus as I will shooting with a 5D I though maybe is not a good idea because of the rolling shooter.

Do somebody shoot with this configuration? Have I to take some precautions for shooting?

Thank you.

I don't see any problem with using a Joker. These are excellent HMI fixtures with electronic ballasts, so you don't have to worry about flicker or anything like that. Camera motion affects rolling shutter more than anything, except for quick flashes of light, like a camera flash or a strobe light. Those you have to stay away from. But a Joker is a continuous light, so, again, you don't have to worry about it. Shoot away!

In theory, I know most modern (square wave) electronic ballasts will work. I am not so sure if some of the older magnetic ballasts will work as well, particularly at some more exotic frame rates, like 25fps, if the ballast is set to 60hz firing; but this is not just particular to HDSLRs, film and video cameras will have issues in these circumstances. So, it depends where in the world you are filming and at what frame rate. A quick test with the lights you intend to use should tell you what you are up against.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

Well,

For what it's worth..I'm shooting with a 7D and home build 'HMIs' with magnetic ballests. As long as I keep the shutter to 1/50 or 1/30 ( I know ....blur... ) I don't have a noticeable issue. It may have something to do with the bulbs I use in them, they might have a slower decay time then normal. And yes, I have measured for UV....

A 5D might scan different, so if you want to check it, shoot a white piece of paper with the HMI on, try some different settings then take that into an editor and look for any banding.