Skip Bounce

Dirk Naves

probably a total n00b question, but just wondering what this refers to. in a recent article in AC, this setup is mentioned: "a combination of backlight and skip bounce." I'm not familiar with the term "skip bounce." could anyone help me out with a description of this type of lighting? thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...

Never heard of it -- don't all bounces technically involve skipping a light off of a surface?

Usually when you shoot a light into a bounce you want the light positioned fairly frontal (to the bounce) so it can full the bounce evenly, thus creating the softest source.

The way I've heard it used, a skip bounce is when you set the light at an extreme angle so the light skips across it rather like skipping a stone across water. Usually this is not optimal because the source is harder and output is often less.

You commonly see this this when using shiny boards to redirect sunlight - if the sun is on the far side of the shiny to the subject you have to skip bounce the sunlight.

• 3 weeks later...

The sunlight scenario seems most common among gaffers I work with. It's used when the sun is not shining in a direction that a normal direct bounce will do, so the shiny board will be put at an extreme angle and make the sunlight basically turn a corner so to speak. Like say your sun is shining from the west and you are facing east with your shiny board, but your actor is facing south and his dark side is toward camera, camera facing north...Ok I need a diagram...basically it is like skipping a rock, the light throws at an angle, usually from the ground. I'll try and do a diagram...

• Premium Member

The way I've heard it used, a skip bounce is when you set the light at an extreme angle ....

"Rake" is the term I'm accustomed to hearing for that. For instance, you go up on a roof and rake a light down the wall.

-- J.S.

"Rake" is the term I'm accustomed to hearing for that. For instance, you go up on a roof and rake a light down the wall.

-- J.S.

Right, raking a light across a back wall, but skip bounce refers to how the light is bounced not what it is effecting.

Edited by David Desio

For some reason skip bounce to me means a bounce from the floor or below the subject. Most specifically, skipping large daylight units like 12K's off of 6 and 8x ultras propped up on apple boxes in front of the unit. Sends a nice ambient. Didn't read the article so don't know if this is what they are referring too or not.

Edited by J. Lamar King