My Latitude Test

Robert Houllahan

• Site Sponsor

Here is my idea of a latitude test:

I shot this at night with my Aaton and a Canon 7-56 T2.1 Zoom frame rates 6,12,16,18,20,24 fps mostly wide open one can of fresh 7219 I let some of the hilites clip in TK.

I think the film demonstrates latitude very well...

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Here is my idea of a latitude test:

I shot this at night with my Aaton and a Canon 7-56 T2.1 Zoom frame rates 6,12,16,18,20,24 fps mostly wide open one can of fresh 7219 I let some of the hilites clip in TK.

I think the film demonstrates latitude very well...

-Rob-

Absolutely stunning! I was completely hooked. Fascinating! like "The Wickerman" on speed! You should send this into short film festivals robert! I couldn't tell the 16 from digital could you elaborate?

• Site Sponsor

Absolutely stunning! I was completely hooked. Fascinating! like "The Wickerman" on speed! You should send this into short film festivals robert! I couldn't tell the 16 from digital could you elaborate?

Thanks!

No digital just one 400' roll of 7219 and an Aaton.

-Rob-

• Site Sponsor

sorry read it too quickly! I saw canon 7 and placed a D in there! that is a nice lens.So what is this ritual?

Yes the 7D could not handle the heat but the Canon 7-56 is a nice chunk-o-glass I traded a grading session for it!

The ritual is the annual Halloween Iron Pour at www.thesteelyard.org heat up 900lb. of Iron to 3000 Degrees and pour it on stuff creating fine and what not. 1200 people showed up this year for it I geared up and went in close.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Yes the 7D could not handle the heat but the Canon 7-56 is a nice chunk-o-glass

That is Impressive, those are a strange bunch of Steampunk dudes. Very Interesting Clip and I agree that it is worthy of being called a short all by itself. Did you do all the editing in Camera?

• Site Sponsor

That is Impressive, those are a strange bunch of Steampunk dudes. Very Interesting Clip and I agree that it is worthy of being called a short all by itself. Did you do all the editing in Camera?

The Iron Guild is a group that came out of the Mass Art metal department a few years ago and The Steel Yard is a artists collective and non profit in Providence which hosts this show every year.

I shot one 400' can of 7219 and cut two little shots out of it and added titles and music so yes edited in camera which is so much easier than actual editing :D

-Rob-

• Site Sponsor

Nice work and edit but to show you what you really have there, why not put it through a better transfer? Lots of noise and softness.

It did not compress well the proresHQ file looks great on my 24" cinema display I am working on doing another compressor pass with a higher bit rate. I will do a 3K scan and filmout of this when we have our new scanner up and running.

-Rob-

It did not compress well the proresHQ file looks great on my 24" cinema display I am working on doing another compressor pass with a higher bit rate. I will do a 3K scan and filmout of this when we have our new scanner up and running.

-Rob-

Bravo Rob! Great stuff. Looked really clean on my monitor. How hot was it down there? Did you where protective gear?

• Site Sponsor

Bravo Rob! Great stuff. Looked really clean on my monitor. How hot was it down there? Did you where protective gear?

I kind of live next door and one of my metal head bud's hooked me up with all of the leathers so I was "dressed appropriate" Iron melts at 3000F so I felt no cold shooting this, and I had the best seat in the house. The pro-Res HQ file looks much better than the h264 does I think it is hard to compress. I made a 12mb h264 which I have to look at to see if it is that much better than the 8mb h264.

-Rob-