Locations

Someone please explain this to me. I was watching one of those awful slasher movies, Wrong Turn 3 a while ago and was somewhat puzzled to see that it was filmed in Sofia, Bulgaria with an almost entirely Bulgarian crew. What's up with that? The film takes place in West Va., which doesn't look much like Bulgaria, from what I saw of the movie as well as my own travels through West Va.How can it be cheaper to shoot in Europe with travel expenses? Labor prices cheap there? I don't get it.It looked like it was shot on a RED or something similar, in one shot, a low angle out of the water shot of the rafts I could see some serious artifacts and I figured that particular shot was done on something expendable as it stuck out from the rest of the sequence. Anyone familiar with this? Just curious.

Labor prices cheap there?

In Bulgaria? You have no idea, labour isn't just cheap, they practically give it away by our standards!

In China you can get on average of 30 crew members for the price of one American. That's about the average.

Will any feature films be made in Canada or the USA 25 years from now? One wonders?

Tax credits or no tax credits, we can't compete with many territories when it comes to labour costs.

R,

Shooting in eastern Europe has been pretty common in recent years, even some BBC dramas set in England have been shot there. Some of these countries have great traditions in film making, so crews are already there. Yes, it comes down to costs.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Damn, maybe I shouldn't have deleted those emails from the Eastern Euro babes,lol. I kinda figured something like that. Every other US and Canadian business is going overseas for cheap labor, why should the movies be any different? Can't really complain about production quality, I didn't see anything overtly bad about the production values, so can you really blame them? That's capitalism, what can you do?