lossless codec to convert mts files on Mac

I posted this topic on the HD section, but i figured it belongs more acurately here, in the first time filmmakers section

What i can't figure out is how can i convert these m2t/mts files into a usable format to edit on imovie or fcp without loosing quality? I understand i can't use lagarith on mac, so is there any lossless video codec that i can use? and what's the process i should adopt? What do you mac users do?

Another thing is i don't know what i'm doing wrong when i capture shots from the camera but i jsut can't avoid the anoying horizontal stripes moving constantly. I think it has something to do with my interlace options, but i can't figure it out. Should i desinterlace when i capture?

Thank you for any suggestions, they'll be appreciated, i have some urgency, although i'm not professionally linked to cinema or video, i urgently need to use this for professional reasons. So thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing you have recorded these files with a AVCHD camcorder? If so use the "Log and Transfer" in Final Cut Pro (File -> Log and Transfer). Same basis as "Log and Capture" for older DV tape but it will locate the M2T or MTS files and convert them to whatever codec you prefer. Just click on the "Preferences" in the upper right corner of the Log and Transfer window (it looks like a small gear) and select which codec to convert too. Apple ProRes422 works best for me, and will look virtually lossless for AVCHD files. ProRes422(HQ) or ProRes4444 would work for an uncompressed stream but may be overkill for AVCHD files since the camcorder has already compressed the data and you'd end up with files with very large size with no better quality. I hope this helps you out.

• Premium Member

Go ProResHQ, it's what I normally do, unless the NLE handles the files natively. You really won't get too much more out of an AVCHD camera than what's already there. Interlace will be taken care of in FCP, if you so choose, though if your camera has a progressive (e.g. 24P or 30P) option you should shoot in that format. Interlaced formats always have the artifacts displays on Macs as far as I know. there are settings you can use to remove it for your pleasure in quicktime but it'll be there. On a typical TV, or off of a DVD, however, this won't be a problem as TVs and DVD players already know to "deinterlace," or are "interlaced" themselves.

• 5 months later...

The Apple Intermediate Codec and ProRes are video codecs designed to be an intermediate format in an AVCHD workflow. Both features high performance and quality, being less processor intensive to work with than other editing formats. Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) is recommended for use with all AVCHD workflows in iMovie and Final Cut Express (FCE). And ProRes is recommended for use with all AVCHD workflows in FCP. So the best way for preserving quality is to convert MTS to AIC for iMovie or Convert MTS to ProRes for FCP. I search Convert MTS to ProRes/AIC, and find Aunsoft Final Mate for Mac.

http://www.aunsoft.com/final-mate-mac/

• 4 months later...

Although my post is too late, I hope it could be useful to you.

If you would like to edit the mts footages with iMovie, I suggest you convert mts videos to Apple InterMediate Codec (AIC) MOV. If you would like to edit the mts videos with FCP, I suggest you convert mts to Apple ProRes MOV.

After transferring the mts footages from you camcorders, neither iMovie nor FCE will recognize the videos automatically.

What I suggest you do is to transcode MTS videos to Apple InterMediate Codec (AIC) MOV or Apple ProRes.

What I am using is this smart MTS Converter Mac program: Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac. It's able to convert/transcode AVCHD/ AVCHD Lite footages (*.mts, *.m2ts) to Apple ProRes, Apple InterMediate Codec, Avid DNXHD compatible with FCP, FCE, iMovie and AVID.

The best important factor appropriates me to choose it is its large variety of video formats. I feel it is very dependable and does exactly what I need it to do. Overall I am very happy with it and feel it was a good investment of my money.

So I think it's worth to try and you can have a free trial at first.

For more information please refer to: http://www.brorsoft.com/mts-converter-mac/index.html

Here is a tip which may be helpful to you:

Pay attention to and always check your MTS file frame rates. Footage shot at 60p will have the best quality when converted at 60fps, although you can reduce the file size substantially if you convert at 30p. If your video footage was shot at 60i, it's best to select 30fps or 29.97fps as the preferred frame rate.

• 1 year later...

Bros MTS Converter Mac can convert mts mac created by AVCHD Camcorders. All brands of camcorders are supported by this mts converter osx like Sony NEX-FS100, Panasonic DMC-G3/GF3, JVC GZ series, Canon HF G10, etc. MTS Converter for Mac can convert MTS mac to various video/audio formats and also convert for playback on iPad 2, iPod player and iPhone 4s, Android phone, Blackberry these mobile phones.

You can try this function is very powerful Bros MTS Converter Mac software, there are those functions that you say, you can learn from it and see that you have no help.

More useful software introduction, please visit the following URL:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Bros+MTS+Converter+Mac&oq=Bros+MTS+Converter+Mac&gs_l=hp.3...1194001.1194001.0.1201577.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.3p50_OpYJMo&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aGc&bpcl=40096503&biw=1423&bih=651&ech=1&psi=RWzaUPrbJuTpiAf4xYGYAQ.1356491855020.3&emsg=NCSR&noj=1&ei=RWzaUPrbJuTpiAf4xYGYAQ

Browser from Google search elements Keywords: Bros MTS Converter Mac you can find this powerful software.

Christmas more software discount promotions, affordable lot!Merry Christmas!

Browser from Google search elements Keywords:Emicsoft-Christmas Discount you can find this powerful software.

http://www.emicsoft.com/christmas_index.html

Browser from Google search elements Keywords:OX PDF-Christmas Discount you can find this powerful software.

http://www.oxpdf.com/OXPDF-Christmas/

Browser from Google search elements Keywords:Brosvideo-Chrismas Discount you can find this powerful software.

http://www.brosvideo.com/christmas_index.html

• 2 years later...

To lossless convert mts files on Mac, I highly recommend iDealshare VideoGo which can batch convert MTS, M2TS AVCHD without losing video and audio quality on Mac and Windows.

It can easily convert MTS files MTS to Apple ProRes, MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, MKV, DV, TS, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, HEVC, H.265, H.264, ASF, SWF, FLV, WebM and etc.

Step by stepg guide at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/mts-converter-for-mac-windows.html