FRINGE Ep 308 Thursday Dec 2nd

Tonight's FRINGE was directed by a series regular Brad Anderson. I really admire his films (Session 9 , The Machinist , Transiberrian) so it was a thrill to get to shoot this episode with him. He's very good with suspense so he was a natural fit for this episode which follows the 'other' Olivia being found out as a double agent and the real Olivia getting back to her home.

Brad carefully plans his sequences and still manages on a tight tv schedule to make it relatively effortless. Lighting was sometimes a bit compromised to get the angles and shots he needed, but that is a trade off I'd make any day for a good sequence. It can even lead to some happy accidents.

Not many new sets, but a train station interior which we had to make day in at night. Probably the biggest set up of the year so far.

If any of you have any questions about , happy to let you know what I can.

9pm Fox Thursday Dec 2nd.

Greg

how did you get that "dreamy" effect when peter was given the paralytic? was it a lens or filters or digital?

That effect was entirely in camera with a lens. We used a Lensbaby with panavision mount on our camera. It allows for a sort of selective focus / bellows effect you can manipulate manually very simply.

It was also used later in the episode when Olivia is on the operating table and rescued by Col. Broyles.

Such a good episode. I don't watch much TV, except for Thursday nights, and Fringe is the best show on TV right now in my opinion.

SPOILER ALERT

So great when Olivia appeared coming out of the tank. CU on Astrid while we saw her climbing out in the background, such a great way to do it, excellent choice :)