Rod support

So then the term rod support applies only to the rods? What would the rest of the unit be called?

Let's say its the start of the day and the camera is in it's case and the 'unit' is in it's case along with the rods. You're ready to put it together, would you say rod support or rod support system?

• Premium Member

It depends how much stuff you have. If you have only two sets of rods, you could say "the long rods" or "the short rods". If there are more, say "the X inch rods". Or, you might say "the rods for the zoom". Or, have them all handy, and put back the ones you don't use.

-- J.S.

When kind of rod setup? Is it lightweight 15mm rods, and are they attached to a plate hard-mounted to the camera, or even plugging directly into the camera itself? Or is it a small Compact HD camera with a rod support baseplate underneath it that accepts lightweight 15mm rods? Or is it a large studio bridgeplate system, available in 15mm studio or 19mm studio configurations?

Just saying "bring me the rods" can be like saying "bring me a lens." You need to say what we're talking about here.

I'm looking for a technical definition of a rod support,, regardless of it's a lightweight 15mm, 19mm studio ect.

What components make up a rod support system? My understanding is that a rod support system, in it's basic configuration, is made up of a rod bracket (for securing the rods), a horizontal and vertical adjustment component (for alignment adjustments), a mounting plate (for securing the complete unit to the base of the camera) and lastly, a pair of support rods.

With this definition, could it be understood that a 'rod support' is another term for 'rod support system', or might this be confusing to some people?

• Premium Member

The dovetail plate fits onto the top of the head. The bridgeplate screws onto the bottom of the camera and slides onto the dovetail plate. The bridgeplate is what holds the rods. Various lens support brackets also fit on the rods. Usually the bridgeplate lives on the camera so the only separate bits you'll have to ask for or go get are different length rods or different length dovetail plates.

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, professional systems don't have any vertical or horizontal adjustments. The right dimensions and positions for everything are machined in to the design.

Not entirely true. The Arri MB-20 mattebox system has adjustments for 3 axis, for a perfect fit on the lens.

• Premium Member

Not entirely true. The Arri MB-20 mattebox system has adjustments for 3 axis, for a perfect fit on the lens.

Ah! You are right! I must have forgotten since I set that all in checkout and never touch it again.

When kind of rod setup? Is it lightweight 15mm rods, and are they attached to a plate hard-mounted to the camera, or even plugging directly into the camera itself? Or is it a small Compact HD camera with a rod support baseplate underneath it that accepts lightweight 15mm rods? Or is it a large studio bridgeplate system, available in 15mm studio or 19mm studio configurations?

Yeah, the term "Rod Support System" is just a generalized way to say that you do have one if anyone asks. I only ever use a phrase similar to "rod support system" when I'm describing our setup to a 2nd AC or placing an order with a rental house tech. Otherwise, while I'm building the camera I'll call out for specific pieces (touch and go, dovetail, bridgeplate, rods, FF, Mattebox, etc.).

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank