XLH1 or 7d or both?

Daniel Delarusa

Hey guys

I'm gona shoot a short film pretty soon and have the possibility to use those 2 cameras. Now the 7D I know what the advantages are especially in low light situations. But with the Canon XLH1 I have no experience whatsoever and it is hard to find a decent short to see how it works in different lighting situations.

We will have 3 locations 1 in a board room where we keep the room very dark and misterious, one bedroom sceen also farely dark and one outside in a park.

What do u guys think any advise for me.

thanks a lot

Dan

• Premium Member

Depends what for.

For dramatic filmmaking that aspires to theatrical-style production values, the 7D, no question.

For documentaries and operating on the run or far from support, the XLH1.

Although if you're into buying a 7D, the difference between that and the much cheaper 550D/T2i is negligible.

P

I haven't used the XLH1 but I would expect it to be sharper and have more detail than the 7D, so you might want to think about mixing the two.

7D wherever you want the shallow dof and detail is less critical (e.g. close ups etc).

XLH1 for shots were detail is more important than shallow dof (e.g. wides).

• Premium Member

The XLH1 will certainly be sharper ordinarily - it's a blazingly sharp camera, possibly the sharpest prosumer piece of gear I've ever seen. On the other hand, it's interlaced, and not capable of true progressive scan. Deinterlacing it, or using the "24F" mode (which is worse than a reasonable computer-based deinterlace) will cause that sharpness to suffer quite badly, although possibly not to EOS levels.

I don't think they'll match very well. The XLH1 is a small-chip 3CCD camera, the 7D is a large single CMOS camera. Technologies, picture control options and storage codecs differ wildly.

P