Taping the Mag?

I've been shooting with the ARRI SR3 for almost a year now, and never taped around the mag. Mostly because I'd never been told to do so, but recently, when watching a behind the scenes of 'The Life Aquatic' I noticed all the panavision mags had been taped. Now, I've shot over 30,000 ft of film with this camera and never had any problem regarding light leaks. So that being said, I'm curious why this is done, if it NEEDS to be done, if there are various mags for instance that absolutely need to be taped, and so on.

Thanks very much!

Evan

• Premium Member

It depends on the mags. Eclair NPR mag lids mostly will fall off if you don't. If an Arri is really beat to s--t, you may need to tape it. But the vast majority of well maintained mags don't really need it. Tape over the latch with the stock number, footage, and roll number is always a good idea. It lets all the 2nd's know what's in the mag, and not to open it in the light.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

It's just like a condom... for your own safety and peace of mind.

Do you have to do it, no. Sometimes, if I'm rushing, I won't do it on my SR3, but when you have the time quite useful.

Also useful if you have more than 1 stock on a shoot as each stock gets it's own number.

SR Mags don't need tape except on the latches.

Panavision mags are taped so there is no light leak and door doesn't fall off if it's dropped. Sometimes the latches miss the mark.

Same with Arri III tape them for light leak.

BL's don't need tape

Eclairs need tape

Just consider that if you don't tape and that .01% is a big stunt with car crashes and pyro, you'll be pretty f-ed.

I doubt tape is going to save you in the event of a car crash, ha ha

So long as the latches are taped, you're good. It's not so much to save light leaks as it is an ID to prevent anyone from mistakenly opening a mag and flashing it.

Also useful if you have more than 1 stock on a shoot as each stock gets it's own number.

And Color! Each stock gets it's own color. Which saves loads of time when working with multiple stocks. With a glance I know whether 5219 or 5205 is in a mag rather than having to look closely at the mag to see which stock number is written on it.

Basically as the loader, you do whatever the 1st tells you even if you don't think it's necessary. So if they like that or it makes them more comfortable, do it. Also, you definitely want to tape(with corresponding color) the latch(es) on the door(s) of the mag.

I've had DP's return mags to the loader because they weren't taped. Like already mentioned here, it's a personal preference on some camera and a must on others. Personally, I like tape on the mags, it gives a cleat message of what is in the mag and that it is definitely safe.

• Premium Member

I doubt tape is going to save you in the event of a car crash, ha ha

So long as the latches are taped, you're good. It's not so much to save light leaks as it is an ID to prevent anyone from mistakenly opening a mag and flashing it.

You know what I mean. I don't mean in the event of the car hitting a camera. I mean if the shot is unrepeatable and you flash it because you were too lazy to take the extra 10 seconds to tape the mag up right.