Just another noob with questions.

Hey, whatup everybody? I'm kinda new here, but don't worry, I know the rules...

So, I'm in a filming "club" in my school, and I have a few projects to work on and ALOT pf problems to deal with. So, does anybody know how to work with Sony Vegas Pro 9? And yes, it's illegal. xD Well, the thing is, I can't open my projects anymore, even though I only work with them once a week, and I don't mess things up either, so, does anybody know where I can find a decent copy of SVP9, or any other decent film editing program that is FREE. Yes, I have no money. xD

Oh, and any book for noobs in cinema, you know, everything about cameras, editing, etc...

If this is for a club, you may be able to get the school to pay for part or all of a legit copy. It would require a proposal to be written up, but you can get a teacher to help with that. If they approve it, though, you would probably not be able to load onto a personal laptop or computer.

Also, clubs can hold fundraisers, so you could go that route, too.

Good idea. It's just this program costs 5000 friggin dollars. Ok, maybe not that much, but way too much for our budget, and no fundraisers, I'm already having one to pay off my trip to England.

How about a free video editing program thet doesn't suck? Or do all the free ones suck?

Another alternative could be a public access cable station. Nowadays people call them community media stations, but same difference. They are state-funded, non-profit TV stations that will let you use their equipment for free, including editing rooms.

Biggest drawback is they have to train you before they let you use anything, to make sure you are proficient/competent, and that can require some time and maybe a nominal fee. But it is worth looking into, since you get access to thousands of dollars worth of equipment, and technical support when you need it. And when you’re done making your movie, they really don’t care what you do with it.

But to answer your question, there is no free software I know of that is worth the hard drive space of a professional, unfortunately expensive, program.

Five grand? Yikes, it'd better come in a gold-plated box.

You can get the entire Adobe master collection for less than that, which is where I'd be looking. Premiere alone is only a few hundred.

P

Yes, Sony Vegas isn't that expensive either.

You could check out this, but note there is a list of formats that you have to pay for and there may be other restrictions.

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Well now that Sony Vegas Pro 10 is out, Sony Vegas Pro 9 wouldn't be so costly. So try your local electronics store or camera store. I'm sure that somehow the prices for it dropped but none of the employees know why because Sony Vegas Pro 10 is very unknown at the time and it takes a long time for stores to start buying unpopular software.\

There is also Sony Vegas Studio which is not that expensive but still 100 times better than Windows Movie Maker.

• Premium Member

The Internet computer equipment and software sales company CDW has a government and education division www.CDWG.com.

There are many software companies who distribute educational copies of their products through companies like CDWG and provide huge discounts. You and/or your school can establish an account with them by providing them your credentials (ID cards, a letter from one of your administrators on the school's letterhead, etc). Once you've got an account established you can buy any of their educationally licensed software. The prices can be highly discounted. For instance: The educational version of Adobe CS5 Production Premium is as cheap as US$350, the commercial version of the same software costs over US$1000.

Several of my regular clients are universities and as a result I qualify for CDWG educational pricing on software directly related to my services to the schools. I've saved a lot of money over the years buying software through CDWG.