CSU's that are Good for Cinematography/Editing

Hi everyone. It's just about time that I start taking into consideration what schools in California that I may be able to go to. Personally, I really enjoy cinematography and editing when it comes to filmmaking. I was wondering if there were any CSU's in particular (although I'm not against any UC or private university suggestions - it's just that CSU's will DEFINITELY be more in my range financially) that have good programs dealing with the two.

Two other really important aspects that I want to take into consideration: how connected is it to the industry? Will the school help me get a foot in the door or help expose or provide me the opportunity to meet and work with people who are in the industry? Secondly, how strong is the independent community around these schools and in the area? I realize that getting into the industry is certainly a big chance, but if there is a strong independent community of filmmakers, then I can still hone my skills, improve, and even work quite dedicatedly on my own films and not just others. A strong independent scene is very important to me. And that, I suppose, also figures into what school I'd be interested in as well. A school that takes more an independent approach to filmmaking or your more conventional Hollywood style.

Edited by Timothy Lou Ly

• 1 month later...

Northridge.

-- J.S.

Really? That's it, huh? Are the editing facilities up to date? Foley/sound studios? How are the professors? I've heard some negative things about CSUN, but who hasn't heard any bad thing about any school? What makes the editing program better there vs. other CSU's? Is there really much of a difference?

• Premium Member

I'm not sure what the other CSU's have, but Northridge seems to be their biggest and best for film and video. I visited a couple years ago, the sound stages were small but well done. My ex first AC was a prof there, but by now she may have retired.

-- J.S.

I'm in the film program at Cal State Long Beach and as far as I know the only CSU's that have decent film programs are LB and North Ridge. LB used to be one of the best schools in California for film (behind USC, UCLA, and Chapman of course and it was due to Spielberg giving us a huge grant that he never renewed - bastard :P ) but since the CSU's have taken quite a few budget cuts recently, I don't think any of them are too hot right now. We're kind of lacking in quality equipment right now but there's still a decent amount there that you would need on a shoot. We have quite a few quality post-production labs and the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful (if you're really looking to get into editing, our main editing professor is in the ACE - his name's Jack Tucker if you want to look him up).

If you can afford to go to one of the top 3, I'd definitely recommend those over any of the CSU's but if you're low on money, CSULB is still a good place to go.

• 3 weeks later...