Next big cinematographers

Nick Steinberg

When I think of great cinematographers working today many names spring to mind including Bruno Delbonnel, Emmanuel Lubezki, Roger Deakins, Vilmos Zsigmond, Janus Kamiński and so many, many more.

My question is who do you think will be the among the best working cinematographers in 10-15 years time? Many of these current greats started on very small budget movies in distant corners of the world - I'd love for people to make suggestions for a list of some of the next great cinematographers? Which young cinematographers have caught your eye? Which independent DPs are going to make it big soon? I'd love for people to mention cinematographers from many different countries as film is such a universal medium.

Every profession needs a really good group of young people coming through and I feel cinematography is no different. Who is the future of the medium?

• Premium Member

Which independent DPs are going to make it big soon? Who is the future of the medium?

There is just no way to know or guess at this. Luck, beyond the talent, matters so much. Countless talented DP's, writers, actors and directors go unnoticed because they never happen to meet the right director, producer or agent, or their best work didn't get picked up for distribution for whatever reason, or that big festival just couldn't fit the movie into the schedule for some reason, or they might have simply missed a friggin phone call and the list goes on.