Director doesn't know what he's talking about.

Artyom Zakharenko

Dear all,

I've been asked to DP a music video. The director is a nice guy, but he's giving me technical advice how to shoot the video, what gear and type of camera to use. Im open for advice and ideas, but not when the director is telling me technical things that are incorrect. This is a bit frustrating. I've tried to explain him in a gentle way that what he claims, is not quite true, but he's being obstinate and doesn't want to listen. I know that if i shoot the video using the technique he mentioned, it won't match what his artistic ideas, in other words it won't work or do it's job. It's a bit frustrating and i don't really know how to handle this situation... i can't mess up our cooperation, but i also can't do what he says because i know that it won't work... Has anyone experienced this before, and if so what would you advice?

Thanks

Dear all,

I've been asked to DP a music video. The director is a nice guy, but he's giving me technical advice how to shoot the video, what gear and type of camera to use. Im open for advice and ideas, but not when the director is telling me technical things that are incorrect. This is a bit frustrating. I've tried to explain him in a gentle way that what he claims, is not quite true, but he's being obstinate and doesn't want to listen. I know that if i shoot the video using the technique he mentioned, it won't match what his artistic ideas, in other words it won't work or do it's job. It's a bit frustrating and i don't really know how to handle this situation... i can't mess up our cooperation, but i also can't do what he says because i know that it won't work... Has anyone experienced this before, and if so what would you advice?

Thanks

I would bet loads of people have experienced this in some form or another, if not from the director, from the producers. However, you are kind of vague about the specifics, if it's just the camera and stuff, it's surely not that big of a deal, might just be a hastle if it's not what you are used to working with? Maybe you will have to get more creative to make it work. The worry might be that he won't let you get on with your job on set but hopefully he will be too busy!

Obviously I've no idea of the specifics in yr situation tho.

love

Freya

As Freya mentioned that you are vague about the specifics, so all I can think is of two things. Try to get the look that he wants with whatever camera he is choosing. If that's not possible, tell him beforehand that it won't be your responsibility if the music video doesn't turn out to be the way he wanted. There is no point in taking the blame if it's not your fault.

• Premium Member

... advice?

Tests. The best thing is to shoot tests with the director present, doing it his way. Just the two of you present, if possible, for the shoot. Absolutely just the two of you when you look at the tests. That makes it as easy as possible to say "Oh, s--t. I was wrong."

-- J.S.

Tests. The best thing is to shoot tests with the director present, doing it his way. Just the two of you present, if possible, for the shoot. Absolutely just the two of you when you look at the tests. That makes it as easy as possible to say "Oh, s--t. I was wrong."

-- J.S.

Now that's REALLY good advice! It's good to shoot tests anyway, you can try stuff out to see if you can make it work or if it will be a disaster, everyone is involved, you can go into battle with more confidence and a better understanding of the situation whatever the outcome. Really good idea.

A Test on a promo!!!! Never.....

Artyom I'm afraid the Promo world is full of jokers. There are some good director out there true, but few.

If someone asks you to shoot in a way you don't want, and you tell them so. They won't remember what you said when they watch the s**t rushes.

Maybe just maybe walk away from the job.

Gareth Munden

London

A Test on a promo!!!! Never.....

Artyom I'm afraid the Promo world is full of jokers. There are some good director out there true, but few.

If someone asks you to shoot in a way you don't want, and you tell them so. They won't remember what you said when they watch the s**t rushes.

Maybe just maybe walk away from the job.

Gareth Munden

London

I'm not even sure thats just limited to the promo world or the world of film and video either for that matter but there you go.

You could write a deal memo at the start that you both sign, so it's clear where everyone stands?

Or failing that put it all in an email at the top and make sure you get a reply and keep the emails.

Lapses of memory can be very convienient as Gareth suggests! ;)

Pulling out is definitely always an option tho, esp if there is a little voice in your head telling you no. I tend to find the little voice has good advice! ;)

love

Freya

Dear all,

Thanks

What, specifically is he saying that is incorrect?