The end is nigh

Phil Rhodes

Canadians are themselves responsible for the current condition of their movie industry. The Canadian Cooperation Project in 1948 killed the Canadian movie industry.

More on this - http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertainment/film/clips/8999/

This and dozens of other idiotic policy decisions in the last 40 years. Don't even get me started.

One day Canada will stand up to the rest of the world instead of being an international laughing stock and door mat, one day......

R,

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to predict The Kings's Speech to pull it out over The Social Network for best picture.

My reasoning....a king with a speech impediment is more of a sympathetic character than a guy who became a billionaire in his 20s. Especially considering the current economic situation in the USA.

Just my .02.

R,

I've read through most of this post and It reminds me of a snippet that was given to me recently, from the Sydney Morning Herald, 17th January, 1930

"Sir, It is little wonder that attendance at talkies is said to be failing off. Most of the american pictures shown are absolute rubish and an insult to one's intelligence, while the harsh low class voices and accents are a continual strain on one's nerve. Moreover quite a number of pictures are highly suggestive and would be harmful to young people; how they ever got past the censor is a mystery. English pictures with pleasing accents are a welcome relief after American talkies. Patrons would also welcome the occasional silent films which are most restful."

See, Nothing's changed :)

I've read through most of this post and It reminds me of a snippet that was given to me recently, from the Sydney Morning Herald, 17th January, 1930

"Sir, It is little wonder that attendance at talkies is said to be failing off. Most of the american pictures shown are absolute rubish and an insult to one's intelligence, while the harsh low class voices and accents are a continual strain on one's nerve. Moreover quite a number of pictures are highly suggestive and would be harmful to young people; how they ever got past the censor is a mystery. English pictures with pleasing accents are a welcome relief after American talkies. Patrons would also welcome the occasional silent films which are most restful."

See, Nothing's changed :)

Australia has a domestic industry they can be proud of!! The Man From Snowy River, Phar Lap, The Road Warrior, WOW!!

R,

I sense some sarcasm :P

Anyway, do you think it's better than The Social Network?

Looking at the credits on the screen at the end of the movie, it is the Weinstein Company that is most prominent, yet looking at IMDB PRO, there are several non-US production companies credited. No matter, it will likely be "adopted" as a "Hollywood" movie regardless of which country actually made it. Same for Harry Potter. Same for The Road Warrior. Pretty much any successful movie with english speaking characters is assumed to be "Hollywood." Toss it a couple of Academy Awards and the deal is done!

I haven't seen Social Network and have no interest. The subject matter, about a billionaire kid's angst and problems, doesn't really inspire me to want to spend two hours of my life hearing about it. "Oooh, poor me. I'm a billionaire, but look how much I suffered on my way to living a life of luxury." <_< Waaaa! I'll get out my violin and play for him. :rolleyes: I don't watch reality TV either for the same reason. Whiny kids just aren't that interesting. :)

I haven't seen Social Network and have no interest. The subject matter, about a billionaire kid's angst and problems, doesn't really inspire me to want to spend two hours of my life hearing about it. "Oooh, poor me. I'm a billionaire, but look how much I suffered on my way to living a life of luxury."

You've a completely wrong impression of the movie :P Give it a shot, you won't regret it.

You've a completely wrong impression of the movie :P Give it a shot, you won't regret it.

That's more or less the marketing angle they've taken. Sullen yet foreboding music bed with a lot of concerned faces mulling about as if the neighborhood dog got hit by a truck. "Woe is us!" <_<

Not really. English is the secondary official language of India. From my 19 years of experience in the country, I can safely say that you will find more people communicating in English than in Hindi, which is the official language of India. All the big companies, service sector industries, and even the Hindi movie stars, they all communicate in English. And there is a huge population in India who love Hollywood movies.

Movie industry in India is the biggest movie industry in the world, but don't confuse it with Bollywood. Bollywood is the movie industry which makes movies in Hindi. There are different industries for different languages.

Canadians are themselves responsible for the current condition of their movie industry. The Canadian Cooperation Project in 1948 killed the Canadian movie industry.

More on this - http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertainment/film/clips/8999/

India has a diversity of languages however, and they do a great job of exploiting the language barrier by having all that music in their films. Music is a universal language that unites people across all the language barriers they have there.

The real problem in the UK however is the anti competitive practices in cinema chains and the dumping of product here.

The answer is quotas.

love

Freya

India has a diversity of languages however, and they do a great job of exploiting the language barrier by having all that music in their films. Music is a universal language that unites people across all the language barriers they have there.

The real problem in the UK however is the anti competitive practices in cinema chains and the dumping of product here.

The answer is quotas.

love

Freya

Or, as I've suggested, we drop the ideas of nations and currencies altogether. Corporations run everything anyway, so by dropping the pretense of different countries, the entire WORLD'S population of professional filmmaking employees could unionize under one banner and "Hollywood" wouldn't have to connected to Los Angeles anymore but could be the generic term for "the movie business." It more or less is already anyway, but then it would be official AND crews would have collective bargaining power and be able to travel the globe to work without any of those silly visa barriers to get in the way. A TRUE free market! Imagine... B)

I actually quite like Bollywood...

Sorry!

There should be a distribution method for EVERY kind of movie made around the world. Perhaps someone like NETFLIX could become first-run distributors for DVD, internet, AND theatrical. :unsure:

Phil,

You should look at this, the list of past winners for the International Emmy Awards. The British dominate every category year after year!!

http://www.iemmys.tv/awards_previous.aspx

No one else stands a frigging chance!! Come on Phil, let the rest of the world win a couple of times, sheesh, what a bunch of award hogs.

R,

Richie, you're just upset because Stiller passed on The Dogfather to do this pic. B)

Actually I wanted Pauly Shore but he was booked.

R,

• Premium Member

I actually quite like Bollywood...

My ex-wife the Anthropologist spent many years in village India. She used to talk about her village's excitement when the film vahaka would come around on his rounds, toting his ancient projector and generator to show Bollywood films. The projector and generator arrived on a cart pulled by a bullock.

http://realfilmcareer.com/?p=5349

Brazil boosts protectionism for local films

By Agustin Mango

BUENOS AIRES (Hollywood Reporter) – Brazil is taking extra steps to protect its film industry even as the homegrown movie “Elite Squad 2″ just became the country’s most popular film ever, surpassing “Avatar” in the process.

A new presidential decree, signed a day before outgoing President “Lula” da Silva delivered office to Dilma Roussef on Saturday, increases the screen quota for exhibition of local films in all Brazilian theaters.

This type of protectionist policy has been implemented in the Brazilian film industry for decades, but it hadn’t been updated for some years. Since 2007, theaters were obligated to screen local productions for a minimum period of 28 days in the case of one-screen theaters. That number could go as high as 63 days for multiplexes. The new standard follows the growth in local releases, to 80 films in each of the last two years from 30 in 2001.

The new legislation maintains the number of days but increases the number of films that theaters will have to offer during that period. Single-screen theaters must now show three different films (instead of two); for multiplexes with more than 10 screens, the number goes from 11 to 14.

According to figures by Filme B, the audience for local films increased by 60% to 25.5 million — the highest mark since Brazilian cinema’s big retomada (“resumption”) in the early 1990s. The box office witnessed an even bigger increase of 71%, around 225 million reais ($135 million).

The year’s top-10 films, headed by Jose Padilha’s “Elite Squad 2,” included two other Brazilian films. Wagner de Assis’ “Nosso Lar” and Daniel Filho’s “Chico Xavier” made the cut behind “Avatar,” “Shrek Forever After,” “Twilight: Eclipse,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Toy Story 3,” “Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel,” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”

Overall, a total of 134.8 million tickets were sold last year — a 20% increase; box office sales rose 30% to 1.26 billion reais ($758 million). The increase was helped along by the growth of 3D screens, which went from 97 to 262.

Interesting. Canadian politicians would not have the gonads to do that in a million years. To a Canadian politician the type of thing you "sell" is, wood, oil, iron ore....

R,