Canon Auto Zoom 814 vs. 814 "Electronic"

Andy Pabst

I want to get a Canon Auto Zoom 814, I'm noticing there's the "regular" type and the later 70s "Electronic" one with some additional features, and doesn't require the circular watch-type batteries. Is there a difference? Is one better than the other?

Should I watch out for anything in terms of buying these guys on ebay? A camera shop here in town has one for like $230, but that is preeeetttty expensive!!

Do these shoot Vision 3 500T well? How bout the other Vision series films?

My Canon 518 has been good, but I want something with more versatility and a better lens.

Thanks!

Edited by Andy Pabst

Hello,

I have used the older 814 with the circular battery, and the "electronic" version, and I believe the "electronic" one is far better. The older 814 has a 225 degree shutter, great for low light, but I believe a camera with a lower shutter angle offers a sharper image in the final footage. The modern 814 defaults to a 150 degree shutter, which I reckon offers sharper footage. I may be misunderstanding the models you mean, but as far as I know these are the key differences.

Do not spend $230 on the older version, save that money for the modern one.

I am sure if someone knows more or better info, they will be on this forum.

cheers

I have the 'electronic' version which is called the Canon 814 XL Electronic, it' has a black plastic body and it's become my favorite cameras which has a great sharp image. I haven't used the older version though. I think apart from the shutter setting the 'electronic' version doesn't have 24fps which I think the older one has, it just has 18fps, 9fps and slow motion, I don't miss the 24fps.

P

Hello,

The older 814 has a 225 degree shutter, great for low light, but I believe a camera with a lower shutter angle offers a sharper image in the final footage. The modern 814 defaults to a 150 degree shutter,

cheers

'XL' cameras were the ones with the wider shutter angles. It stands for 'existing light'. The motion blur can be bad at 18fps, but ought to be better at 24.

There was also a model with a 225deg.- 0deg. variable shutter.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I have the 'electronic' version which is called the Canon 814 XL Electronic, it' has a black plastic body and it's become my favorite cameras which has a great sharp image. I haven't used the older version though. I think apart from the shutter setting the 'electronic' version doesn't have 24fps which I think the older one has, it just has 18fps, 9fps and slow motion, I don't miss the 24fps.

P

Actually the 814 Electronic DOES shoot in 24fps. Just to clarify their were several Canon 814s. THe original 814, 814 Electronic AND the 814 XL. The XL does not shoot 24fps. The only difference I see is that the 814 Electronic has Macro and the older version does not. I just purchased one off of Ebay for $200. It was sold by original owner who had it stored nicely for the last 10 years. Although everything works great, I will have my local camera repair store give it the once over before I load film. Here is the Canon Super * Museum website:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/cine/series_8mc.html

Edited by jim bruce