How to buy a good Crane

Shidan Saberi

Hi, I'm buying a crane today from the papers.

It's a hand made crane but it's very well priced.

What things should i look for them buying a crane?

What things should i check?

It's 5 meters tall. It has a LCD monitor screen. It's been used with heavier camera's than mine too.

My main concern is it dropping my camera.

Hi, I'm buying a crane today from the papers.

It's a hand made crane but it's very well priced.

What things should i look for them buying a crane?

What things should i check?

It's 5 meters tall. It has a LCD monitor screen. It's been used with heavier camera's than mine too.

My main concern is it dropping my camera.

Hi Shidan,

There is no way anyone can help you without more details. What crane is it ? What remote head ? What camera ? Why would it drop your camera ? Are you a grip ? By hand made do you mean home made ? What papers are you buying this crane from ?

If its hand made from papers I would advise you not to buy it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys. It was a home made crane. I went and saw it and did not like it at all. The guy said he would throw in a old but really awesome miller tripod in with it so i got interested and bought it. The tripod is fantastic. I've spent many hours modifying and trying to make the crane usable. I've decided its not my job and i'll just buy a pro aim crane.

t_jib-head.jpg

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with these cranes?

I've used a 14 foot pro aim, and was not impressed. Maybe something less the 14' would be strong enough. But that crane was out of control. With a HVX200 it had a flimsy feel, and would bend alot. I guess it depend on your camera, but I wouldn't personally purchase one.

I've used a Cobra crane. Maybe check those out. It was only a 9' but held more weight.

I've used a 14 foot pro aim, and was not impressed. Maybe something less the 14' would be strong enough. But that crane was out of control. With a HVX200 it had a flimsy feel, and would bend alot. I guess it depend on your camera, but I wouldn't personally purchase one.

I've used a Cobra crane. Maybe check those out. It was only a 9' but held more weight.

Damn, i bought the 12 foot one. I'll be using a xha1s with it. Hopefully it'll be strong.

It was cheap so i guess i'll just have to live with it. How was the head? I suppose i can strengthen the arm myself in other ways.