Matching a Sony EX3 with a Panavision Genesis

Sam Kim

My A Camera is a Panavision Genesis. We have heavy days that would benefit from using a second camera. I have access to a Sony EX3 and a KiPro, potentially, to use but I'm worried about getting their colors to match. We'll most likely only have the EX3's stock lens to shoot with so this is an issue also compared to using the Primo's on the Genesis.

Also, my editor will be editing in AVID and capturing the Genesis footage to DNxHD files. What would be the best way to get him the files from the EX3/KiPro? I'm thinking of possibly just shooting the Genesis with the SSR when we use a B cam and then capture files onto the SRW from the KiPro and also let the KiPro record also onto its hard drive as an extra precaution.

Suggestions on how to get them to match as well as how to deal with it all in post are welcomed!!!

• Premium Member

My A Camera is a Panavision Genesis. We have heavy days that would benefit from using a second camera. I have access to a Sony EX3 and a KiPro, potentially, to use but I'm worried about getting their colors to match. We'll most likely only have the EX3's stock lens to shoot with so this is an issue also compared to using the Primo's on the Genesis.

Also, my editor will be editing in AVID and capturing the Genesis footage to DNxHD files. What would be the best way to get him the files from the EX3/KiPro? I'm thinking of possibly just shooting the Genesis with the SSR when we use a B cam and then capture files onto the SRW from the KiPro and also let the KiPro record also onto its hard drive as an extra precaution.

Suggestions on how to get them to match as well as how to deal with it all in post are welcomed!!!

Seems silly to "dumb down" a Genesis to match the quality of an EX3 for A & B camera shooting (as opposed to just using the EX3 as an action camera or for inserts, etc.) There's about a 3-stop difference in depth of field for one thing, plus the EX3 doesn't shoot Log. I suppose you could try to set the Gain on the Genesis to +1 stop to allow you to stop down a bit more, and you could switch it to Rec.709 mode and then play with the settings and the EX3's settings to match each other better. But you lose almost two-stops of headroom by not using PanaLog on the Genesis.

Seems silly to "dumb down" a Genesis to match the quality of an EX3 for A & B camera shooting (as opposed to just using the EX3 as an action camera or for inserts, etc.) There's about a 3-stop difference in depth of field for one thing, plus the EX3 doesn't shoot Log. I suppose you could try to set the Gain on the Genesis to +1 stop to allow you to stop down a bit more, and you could switch it to Rec.709 mode and then play with the settings and the EX3's settings to match each other better. But you lose almost two-stops of headroom by not using PanaLog on the Genesis.

i agree. it is silly but i don't think we'll make the day without another camera.

and it looks like we'll be using a Sony F800 instead now with digiprimes. would you still suggest the 1 stop gain? i'd definitely be trying to match the depth of field a bit better.

the plan is to make the b cam an action/insert camera and butting the cameras up as much as possible.

Bob Primes mentioned to me today that I should shoot cine1. that shooting the camera the flattest i could would be the best bet.

I'm doing a test at Panavision on Monday, so I guess I'll have my answers soon to see how correctable things are. I really worry about the dynamic range though.

Thanks for the reply, David. It's always appreciated.

so the test now involves an F800 with a gamma curve built to emulate panalog.

instead of recording to the XDCAM Disc we're also going to be testing the 10 bit HDSDI signal to HDCam SR.

hopefully, this will yield the results we're looking for.

I'm trying to confirm that the HD/SDI signal is in fact 10 bit. Does anyone know by chance?

• 2 weeks later...